PDA

View Full Version : Chassis Kit?

Cjvance42
12-27-2012, 03:48 PM
I remember in the past certain chassis builders had chassis kits that u weld together and use your own stock front stub. Is there any chassis builders that still have chassis kits?

dirty white boy
12-27-2012, 04:43 PM
smileys,..jr motorsports,..speedway....

LM14
12-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Not much of a savings really. The expensive stuff is what you bolt on, not the actual frame/cage. We've built our own cars and bought cars. I own all the tools to build a car from scratch but I think the store botten car is actually cheaper frame wise.

SPark

racin6mod
12-28-2012, 08:01 PM
I bought a chassis built from the speedway kit(my first mod) 14 years ago . the dam thing just about killed my a$$. I went high to miss a first lap crash going in to turn one and cot a rut the right front blew out and the car flipped many time out side the track. the hylow crushed down to the steering wheel every tube in the chassis was bent and twisted.

Confused?
12-28-2012, 08:57 PM
CSC from Canada has kits also. One thing to think about with a kit, they are made from HREW tubing. This helps to keep the cost down. Most top chassis builders use DOM tube for thier cages and keep updated on designs for safety. I personnaly will not build a car from HREW tube. It has about 60% strength of DOM.

One question to ask yourself before building one of these things, are you willing to bet your life on your welds?

Cjvance42
12-28-2012, 10:19 PM
i trust my welds more than i would trust anyone elses. i do all kinds of wedling for a living. Only one the chassis that i have worked on recently has had dom tubing the the rest have been like welding on a tin can.

CSC from Canada has kits also. One thing to think about with a kit, they are made from HREW tubing. This helps to keep the cost down. Most top chassis builders use DOM tube for thier cages and keep updated on designs for safety. I personnaly will not build a car from HREW tube. It has about 60% strength of DOM.

One question to ask yourself before building one of these things, are you willing to bet your life on your welds?

Cjvance42
12-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Not much of a savings really. The expensive stuff is what you bolt on, not the actual frame/cage. We've built our own cars and bought cars. I own all the tools to build a car from scratch but I think the store botten car is actually cheaper frame wise.

SPark

I'm not trying to save money. I have some idea i would like to try and i can't bring myself to pay good money for a chassis just to cut and weld on it.

TALON75
12-29-2012, 05:03 AM
Depending on how out there your ideas are, you could have the chassis prepared in almost any stage, I'm pretty sure Shaw would build you a basic chassis with whatever bars you want in it or not in it. They might even be able to sell you all the bent tubes to put one together . Or better yet by a nice tubing bender and some dies and go to town!! I like the bender I have from JMR manufacturing, very high qaulity and bends beautifully ! Check them out at www.jmrmfg.com .