PDA

View Full Version : Help with scaling

healthhut
12-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Ok Bwrc 2010. Setting up as crate car. Setup sheets call for 53-54.5% rear %. I cannot for the life of me get there. Car with me in it, fuel, an no lead is 2201. Must weight 2300. Fronts are 3.5 rt rr is 12.75. If I add 3 30 lb weights to rear bumper it gets me to 52%. I know I don't want the lead there so where am I going wrong?

ALF401
12-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Ok Bwrc 2010. Setting up as crate car. Setup sheets call for 53-54.5% rear %. I cannot for the life of me get there. Car with me in it, fuel, an no lead is 2201. Must weight 2300. Fronts are 3.5 rt rr is 12.75. If I add 3 30 lb weights to rear bumper it gets me to 52%. I know I don't want the lead there so where am I going wrong?

First check your suspension pieces and make sure you are not bound up somewhere. Check your scales to make sure they working properly. Wires crossed from scales to the control unit will drive you crazy!! Where is your battery?? Move it to adjust your %ages. Are your RF heavy?? How much Fuel??

healthhut
12-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Crap, I didn't even think about the batt. It's on the upright on cross member. I am actually of heavy. With correct ride heights, 15 gal of fuel, and 70lb or bite. Cross is good and left side is good, just missing about 2%. Lol

healthhut
12-28-2012, 12:06 AM
The suspension is free and we actually pulled the scales back away from car and place a 50lb sack on each scale to see if they were labeled wrong. We are using roll off pads to make adjustments so I'm lost. The batt will be where I start tomorrow.

DaveBauerSS6
12-28-2012, 10:10 AM
All shocks unbolted. Pull one rear axle.

LM14
12-28-2012, 10:48 AM
How do you unbolt shocks when he's on coilovers?

Add weight on top of the fuel cell to see if you can get there with fuel only. Other weight needs to be as close to rearend as possible so you don't create a pendelum effect. You are better off being heavy and having the correct percentages than light and messed up percentages.

Call BRC.

SPark

healthhut
12-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Rr axle is pulled, no lrf shock on car. And bwrc hasn't answered the phone this week. I guess they took off for the week. Lm14 I agree that % is more important than total #. I am going to move the batt and start over. Thanks for the help.

FlatTire
12-28-2012, 03:41 PM
When I scale I always throw two sheets of skirt plastic under each tire so none of the suspension is bound up. Its also good when you do front end alignments. There's a reason front end alignment racks come equipped ball bearing surface plates.

HEAVY DUTY
12-28-2012, 06:12 PM
If your scales are right, the only way to pick up rear percentage is to move weight back (battery or any bolt on parts that can move) or lighten the parts on the front. Suspension bind wont effect the rear and left side percentages much, but will have a huge effect on the cross or bite numbers. Sounds like the car is just gonna be heavy to get the rear up to where you are trying to get. My question would be, why do you need rear percentage with an underpowered engine? I would think less rear would roll the corners better and keep the momentum up. I would only use rear percentage to get traction when all other means fail.I would keep the weight in front of the rear axle.

let-r-eat
12-28-2012, 06:49 PM
I agree. I'd probably want that rear closer to 50% but would want to know how to get it up if needed.

healthhut
12-28-2012, 10:13 PM
We ended up at 51% with driver. I talked to a few other guys and they agreed that 54 was to much for my crate. I can get to 53.4 by putting all the weight on the frame rails beside fuel tank if we have to.

chasingthatedge
12-30-2012, 06:53 AM
We ended up at 51% with driver. I talked to a few other guys and they agreed that 54 was to much for my crate. I can get to 53.4 by putting all the weight on the frame rails beside fuel tank if we have to.you should be good at 51% just keep an eye on how car gets into corner and how it rolls the middle....barry's cars have good forward bite for the most part....in the crates you want to keep momentum up through the corners....on chris's old 96 bwrc i had to keep the cross at about 50% to roll the corner...the new car don't know yet.....just remember to think about what changes do to weight transfer dynamically....