PDA

View Full Version : Camaro front clip, steering and suspension questions....

timcole421
12-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Hi guys!

Building a new car for next season, and used a donor car to build it. Turns out 90% of the stuff of the donor car is old, worn out, bent, or junk. We used the camaro clip off of it.

The spindles are a mess. I was told they were impala spindles, but I am not sure they are as they have an 11" rotor which have been redrilled to 5x5.

I ordered some new parts, none of which seem to fit the car. I ordered 70's camaro inner tie rods which have the bend in them...the ones on the car do not (Impala???) It has swedge tubes and gigantic bolts to mount the outer tie rods to the spindles, which they have drilled out that part of the spindle to mount the tie rod bolts. The wheel bearings I ordered have no taper to them, and the ones I took out of it are tapered. Are there multiple 74-81 camaro spindle/bearing/rotor combinations?

I need to straighten this car out, and be sure I get it all right. I've ordered new ball joints since they were all bent and trashed, and am on the hunt for spindles. I think I am just going to put everything to Camaro parts so I know what everything is....unless someone has some better advice.

Sorry I don't know more about this clips or interchangeability, I've never used a camaro clip in the past.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/602432_10151215837607566_27121946_n.jpg

timcole421
12-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Actually after looking back at the pics, I don't entirely hate how the tie rods were done....I was just bummed the adjustable adapters I bought wont work since the spindles were all drilled out for the bolts. Same difference?

ALSO - one of the lower ball joint holes in the control arm isn't in great condition anymore. Removing the tack weld, the ball joint just fell out. I've seen ball joint sleeves that weld in, does this properly repair that? Is there a specific one for camaro?

dirty white boy
12-30-2012, 07:02 PM
there are 2 camaro clips,..67-73 an 74-81,...same as novas but thay changed after 74 or 75 i believe,..yours appears to be the 74-81 as the steering box is mounted in front of cross member an not behind...

DaveBauerSS6
12-30-2012, 08:00 PM
74 to 81 camaro had two different outer wheel bearings , id on the spindle. Inners are the same. Dont remember the split , the parts store will help. The tie rod assy on the pass side needs to be bent down to clear the front clip. Ive notched the frame for good roll.

DaveBauerSS6
12-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Actually after looking back at the pics, I don't entirely hate how the tie rods were done....I was just bummed the adjustable adapters I bought wont work since the spindles were all drilled out for the bolts. Same difference?

ALSO - one of the lower ball joint holes in the control arm isn't in great condition anymore. Removing the tack weld, the ball joint just fell out. I've seen ball joint sleeves that weld in, does this properly repair that? Is there a specific one for camaro?

If you loose a ball joint , it bends in the taper hole. The taper is no longer round, its egg shaped. On those deals I get a new spindle, or drill a new taper ( but your roll center changes), or taper drill and install a taller ball joint to keep the RC.