PDA

View Full Version : Modified front end question

MattMitchell
01-02-2013, 06:09 AM
I am having a new car built with a metric clip, my question is what front end lowers and spindles are used in a metric clip, im confused because if you go by the NAPA big book for gm metric cars everything almost fits everything to a point, but if you go by speedway motors performance bodies etc. there is 2-3 options on metric front end stuff any help would be greatful. Thanks

MattMitchell
01-02-2013, 06:11 AM
Also brakes, calipers and rotor suggestion oem, alum.?? 11 inch rotors, 10.5? Thanks again

twisterf5
01-02-2013, 08:00 AM
Also brakes, calipers and rotor suggestion oem, alum.?? 11 inch rotors, 10.5? Thanks again
i would just order the pinto front package will give you every thing you need

gangster49
01-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Depends on the chassis maker. Most use Nova lowers, some use Pinto spindles, some use Metric spindles.

Bob Johnson

MattMitchell
01-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Twister, I thought about that but my question to that is by ump rules the way I understood them I always thought you couldn't mix gm front end parts with ford? Im prob mistaken I was just curious and can you use pinto on nova lowers and metric lowers?

racinjj
01-02-2013, 12:11 PM
You should use the Nova lowers and this is something the chassis builder should have already decided since it will determine screw jack, upper a-arm, and control arm mount locations.

dirttrackrocker
01-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Ask your chassis builder. Only he can answer that, the entire car is built around the front end. If he can't answer it, don't buy a chassis from him.

kingmod5
01-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Could he use metric lowers?

dirttrackrocker
01-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Yes if the spring pockets are in stock location and the upper A arm mounts and shock mounts were designed around metric lowers.

MattMitchell
01-02-2013, 02:49 PM
ok so basicly metric clip, nova lowers, pinto spindles, all set up with the upper A arms, as well, do you use the metric center link? or the afco "better front geometry" center link, do the tie rods matter as much as long as you use the metric pitman arm and idler arm, and inner tie rods to get the bump steer and ackerman set correctly? heres the deal i bought a car back in 2010 that i was told it was a metric impala clip, so we relplaced with metric lowers and metric spindles etc. come to find out that when talking to the chassis builder who built this car and is building my new one told me he hasn't built a metric car since 07ish, and this car is older and come to find out this car is a "standard"? gm chevelle front clip that oddly enough metric parts fit up and didnt have any issue getting our camber back in and setting the front end after a wreck. am i missing some piece to the puzzle or over thinknig this way to much? because the car worked great and didnt have an issue other then me getting used to driving it as 2012 was only my second full season in the car. becasue when you look in speedway motors catalog especialy theres 40 million options on front end metric stuff and standard older style stuff and pinto stuff and like i said im completly confused and i think the front end not having the correct parts was part of my issue in getting the car set up and taking some of the radicalness (Sp) of driving it, to me everyone else looked smooth up on the bars and consistant, and watching the videos of the car it looked the same but i was feeling i was doing way more work in the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit then what it seemed if that makes sense. thanks for all the input guys i really appricate it and im glad theres a place to be able to talk to fellow racers and bounce ideas off of. thanks

dirty white boy
01-02-2013, 04:19 PM
if ya go with nova lowers,..itll add lil over a inch to wheel base,..an bout a inch track width too,..what width rear end you running?? something to think about...

MattMitchell
01-02-2013, 04:38 PM
60 inch centered

dirttrackrocker
01-02-2013, 04:42 PM
If metric lowers fit, it is not a Chevelle clip....

dirttrackrocker
01-02-2013, 04:45 PM
look at the frame rails. If they are flat on the sides it is a Chevelle, if they have a channel in them it is a metric.

This is what a metric frame rail looks like. notice the channel in the side of the rail..

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x37/ttpawla/IMAG2164.jpg

Here is a pic of a Chevelle frame.. no channel in rail..

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/data/500/ChevelleFrame.JPG

racer69
01-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Sounds like you were in the same position I was in a couple years ago. Thought my car was one thing and it turned out to be a mess. That mess got fast but I had to learn it all first plus learn to drive!

My old was supposed to be a Lightning. Even had the numbers and all. Come to find out it was a Lightning/grt(late model)/cyclone! Car was put together so well you couldn't tell!

Could you have had the same type thing going on? The original builder may not even know!

My new car has the chevelle clip with nova lowers and pinto spindles. As I race asphalt too those tiny rotor scare the ...outta me!

racer69
01-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Is this a Hobbs chassis? Would explain a few things!

MattMitchell
01-03-2013, 06:11 AM
dirt track, it looks like a chevelle in that pic minus my car has the big frame horns, racer yes hobbs chassis

racinjj
01-03-2013, 07:42 AM
A Metric Impala is a full size car and the frame looks similar to a Chevelle but is bigger and takes a completely different set of parts from a Chevelle or G-body metric. I really wonder why you have someone building you a car that doesnt seem to know what he is doing. Makes me think you are going to struggle with this car every step of the way.

JustAddDirt
01-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Sounds like you were in the same position I was in a couple years ago. Thought my car was one thing and it turned out to be a mess. That mess got fast but I had to learn it all first plus learn to drive!

My old was supposed to be a Lightning. Even had the numbers and all. Come to find out it was a Lightning/grt(late model)/cyclone! Car was put together so well you couldn't tell!

Could you have had the same type thing going on? The original builder may not even know!

My new car has the chevelle clip with nova lowers and pinto spindles. As I race asphalt too those tiny rotor scare the ...outta me!

My buddy bought that car ( without consulting me), man what a mess it is. I knew exactly what it was when I saw it, I remember back in 2003 when that car was hodge-podged together at Terry Eaglin Motorsports . It has rocket parts on it, not GRT.

dirttrackrocker
01-03-2013, 01:47 PM
A Metric Impala is a full size car and the frame looks similar to a Chevelle but is bigger and takes a completely different set of parts from a Chevelle or G-body metric. I really wonder why you have someone building you a car that doesnt seem to know what he is doing. Makes me think you are going to struggle with this car every step of the way.

I agree..... If the guy building it doesn't know what parts to put on it, then how is he going to give you set up info???

Renegade Cust Susp
01-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Miss read above post

MattMitchell
01-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Ok guys I must have miss guided this is some way lee hobbs isnt the issue, im trying to better understand from everyone thats been doing this longer then ive prob been alive. My dad and I.have just been kicking ideas around and trying to better understand ideas from everybody I can my dad used to race late models and when he got out in 2000 we missed all the rear steer stuff and 4 bar stuff but once I got into a modified im just trying to better understand things lee has been extremely helpful and couldn't ask for someone better then him in helping me and my dad with the set ups I raced karts and micro sprints and this is a big difference the only reason I'm getting a new car is because its a older chassis that we had updated and I just want something that I know the 100% history of and was merely bouncing ideas off u guys and Im greatful for everyone of you guys for taking the time to help thanks so very much.

racer69
01-03-2013, 05:51 PM
@ Justaddirt.....Yea Terry is the one who sold it to me. Straight lied to my race saying it was a Lightning. It needs setup right. I didn't know it was all jacked up until after I sold it. I thought I just didnt know what I was doing! And was afraid that halo was gonna hurt me.

Y'all gotta understand the builder of this car...Lee Hobbs. First don't get me wrong I like Lee. But he builds 2 different cars. his house cars...very good. His customer cars.....well.....!

Buy his used house car roller. It will be a good piece.

MattMitchell
01-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks guys

samblake
01-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Do not reduce the metric because it empeoras in the stability of the car. pestilos reduces at least 2 points.hoteles en cancun (http://www.abordar.com.mx/)