PDA

View Full Version : Shocks?

Arrington002
01-08-2013, 09:43 PM
I recently purchased a 2007 Hassy Chassis. The guy that owned it before ran it at the same race track that I am planning to run at.I read somewhere that it is not best to run equal shocks(4-4, 5-5).. Is this true? Every shock on the car is equal and are either a 4-4 or a 5-5.I dont know alot about shock setups and packages so if someone could lend me a peice of info it would be much appreciated.The track is 1/2 mile, approx. 18-20 degress of banking. In the spring, the track is usally tacky. In the summer it will dry out pretty good. Doesn't rubber up all that much.Thanks

B r a n d o n
01-09-2013, 09:44 PM
What front clip is on the car?
Is it 4bar/4bar or 4bar/Z?
What type of driver are you? Smooth or Aggressive. Example: Billy Moyer Smooth - Don O'Neal Aggressive.
What is your budget per shock?

Arrington002
01-10-2013, 06:21 PM
The car is a 4 link, 4 bar. Monte Carlo front clip. I'm more of a smooth driver. As far as budget goes,It would depend on how many shocks I would need I suppose. I have quite a few already but not sure if its all I will need or not.

B r a n d o n
01-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Per rules are you allowed to run a schrader valve?

Arrington002
01-10-2013, 07:13 PM
No sir, no adjustable shocks

B r a n d o n
01-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Try something like this. Would be good for all year if you only wanna do 4 shocks.

LF - 5/4 RF - 4/6
LR - 7/3 RR - 3/5

If it gets extremely slick you might wanna go RF 4/8 LR 8/2

If you want something custom setup I have three packages:
Stage 1 - $135 per shock.
Stage 2 - $200 per shock.
Stage 3 - $250 per shock.

Arrington002
01-10-2013, 09:12 PM
May i ask why run such a high compression on the left rear?
Try something like this. Would be good for all year if you only wanna do 4 shocks. LF - 5/4 RF - 4/6LR - 7/3 RR - 3/5If it gets extremely slick you might wanna go RF 4/8 LR 8/2If you want something custom setup I have three packages:Stage 1 - $135 per shock.Stage 2 - $200 per shock.Stage 3 - $250 per shock.

Arrington002
01-10-2013, 09:14 PM
The guy last ran the car like this:LF:4-4LR:5-6RF:5-5RR:4-4

B r a n d o n
01-10-2013, 11:05 PM
Really now? I'm sorry I come on here to help people when time permits. I have no bashed anyone elses product. If you are referring to a comment I made about a shock package from Speedway Motors, that I have dyno tested myself. Then keep on hating I guess. 95% of my business comes from the internet. The other 5% is from local drivers. Where else should I be? I'm not Gary Winger or Bob Harris, so my name alone won't bring business. I help anyone even if they don't become a customer. I was on the phone for 2 hours today with someone helping them rebuild their own shocks.
Just trying to help.

Send your shocks to fx suspension hes been building my shocks for years.

If you need a set up idea with adjustments he can do that also and hes not on any forums running down anyone elses work or product like brandon here..

I prefer bilstien.

If you want some high pressure lr custom built shocks I have some extras here. 90/10 80/20 30/10cob 60/10cob etc.

High compression is used on the lr to keep the car up on the bars, cob is a piece inside the shock and it also helps with that type of shock a lot. Call Wade at Fx and tell him Jeff J. 66jj sent ya, he will take care of you for sure.

B r a n d o n
01-10-2013, 11:07 PM
May i ask why run such a high compression on the left rear?

I go higher on compression so that drivers don't have to focus on trying to trail brake the car. They can focus on other things.

B r a n d o n
01-10-2013, 11:08 PM
The guy last ran the car like this:LF:4-4LR:5-6RF:5-5RR:4-4

What were his results like? How did the car handle for him?

Arrington002
01-11-2013, 11:40 AM
The guy actually has quite a few wins with this car. His setup seems basic and just woundering if there is more potential in the car
What were his results like? How did the car handle for him?

jsf74
01-11-2013, 11:50 AM
If it's proven why change it before you at least give it a shot. That's just me though.

B r a n d o n
01-11-2013, 01:15 PM
If it's proven why change it before you at least give it a shot. That's just me though.

You can always try it, buy the rf and lr I suggested and take it to a practice night and see which works best for your driving style.

LFMotorsports
01-12-2013, 12:26 PM
The reason for running a stiff compression LR is to help keep the car up on the bars, 4-bar set-up. As for the RF, the stiffer rebound is to help keep the car loaded on the Right Front. If the car wants to "fall down" off the LR bars in corner entry, the stiffer LR compression will help you out as a driver. That is based on what kind of driver you are on corner entry and track configuration. A 1/2 mile banked track may just not need the shock help as a "stop and go" short track.

On another note, please don't mistake Momentum Racing Suspension out of Fishers, IN with Momentum Motorsports. Not sure what all the deal is with the back and forth BUT I have been friends with Brad Benic who started Momentum Racing Suspension and works with Sprint Cars and has worked great with me on my modified program. I have no opinion (good or bad) on Brandon on this thread. The suggestions on this aren't necessarily wrong and there are +100 places to get shocks.

Good luck in the 2013 season.

JR. MECHANIC
01-12-2013, 10:30 PM
LF, I'm glad you mentioned that... I knew Benic started a "momentum" but haven't heard of the guy on here yet.

Arrington002
01-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Thank you guys for the help. I am planning to run the car the way it sits now and see what happens and go from there. What would happen if i changed the lr shock from a 4-4 to lets say a 6-6?

B r a n d o n
01-13-2013, 12:27 AM
The reason for running a stiff compression LR is to help keep the car up on the bars, 4-bar set-up. As for the RF, the stiffer rebound is to help keep the car loaded on the Right Front. If the car wants to "fall down" off the LR bars in corner entry, the stiffer LR compression will help you out as a driver. That is based on what kind of driver you are on corner entry and track configuration. A 1/2 mile banked track may just not need the shock help as a "stop and go" short track.

On another note, please don't mistake Momentum Racing Suspension out of Fishers, IN with Momentum Motorsports. Not sure what all the deal is with the back and forth BUT I have been friends with Brad Benic who started Momentum Racing Suspension and works with Sprint Cars and has worked great with me on my modified program. I have no opinion (good or bad) on Brandon on this thread. The suggestions on this aren't necessarily wrong and there are +100 places to get shocks.

Good luck in the 2013 season.

Yes he registered his business license as momentum racing suspensions in 2011. I registered Momentum Suspension in 2010 so there has been a lot of confusion. I spoke with Brad about this and we agreed to help each other out since I stay away from sprint cars.