PDA

View Full Version : Helmet experience

merc123
01-14-2013, 07:56 AM
Been using a G-Force motorcycle helmet for years until I saw the "flame" test on one. Going to go with a SA rated one now. I was looking at a carbon fiber G-Force which says it weighs in around 3 pounds. My current non-carbon fiber weighs 3 pounds so I'm thinking the cheaper carbon's aren't wroth it.

I'm curious about your experiences with your helmet of choice. For example, someone told me their Simpson Bandit had a bad problem with dust. If the track was dusty it got into the helmet real bad as compared to their Bell helmet.

zeke23z
01-14-2013, 10:09 AM
I have had a Gforce,impact,and a bell.Bell fogs up alot more than other 2.Gforce has been the most comfortable.I also have been looking at their new CF helmet thinking i might try it.

merc123
01-14-2013, 12:08 PM
I have had a Gforce,impact,and a bell.Bell fogs up alot more than other 2.Gforce has been the most comfortable.I also have been looking at their new CF helmet thinking i might try it.

Hate to pay more for the CF version when my current M2005 helmet weighs the same as the CF. I wonder if their standard SA rated helmet is a bit heavier than the CF?

zeke23z
01-14-2013, 12:16 PM
From their website the CF is 15-20% lighter than their standard models.

zeke23z
01-14-2013, 12:20 PM
All SA2010 rated helmets should protect you the same.Usually spending more money gets you more features like a helmet that weighs less.All depends on how much you wanna spend,but get rid of that bike helmet for sure.

merc123
01-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Just called G-force. The difference between their Pro Vintage ($309) and CFG Carbon fiber ($399) is about a 1/3 of a pound depending on size. So 5 ounces?

My friend has a Bell and that thing is heavy.

Matt49
01-15-2013, 06:35 PM
As far as Bandit's go...I've had two Super Bandits and one regular Bandit. Regular Bandit is my current hat. I've had zero problems with dust with any of them.

QuesinberryRacing
01-21-2013, 12:55 AM
I always wore Simpson Sharks, but after I bought the Impact Air Vapor, there is no comparison. I get no dust, the helmet is not heavy, and having the helmet pump($100 from FAST) is very nice for keeping the dust out, no fogging, and it's nice when it's hot weather. JMO.

mignum
01-21-2013, 07:29 PM
I have a bandit and i have always had a bad dust problem, actually caused me to have a bad wreck at wartburg one night, I started the race about mid pack and when we all fired off it kicked up a bunch of dust and it got in my eyes and I couldnt see, hit the first turn wall and flipped almost trashed my car and lucky I didnt get hurt. No more simpsons for me I recently bought a bell it looks like it will work alot better.

95rayburn
01-21-2013, 09:49 PM
I have a bell br1 fits great feels great but on a cold night here in Michigan it trying to fog so I have my buddy hold it by my exhaust for a second before I hit the track seems to be fine after that

Matt49
01-22-2013, 05:06 AM
Question for those reporting dust problems with the Bandits:
Where is the dust coming in? Around the visor, under the chin bar, through the vent holes, some combination?
Do you guys wear any type of neck support that may block dust from coming in from underneath?

I ask only because I have had zero problems with dust getting in with any of my Bandits and I have been on some pretty dusty tracks. Just wondering what we are doing different to have such different experience with the same hardware.

mignum
01-23-2013, 08:32 PM
No i have never put anything but the helmet on but i think most of the dust was coming in from the chin area, i was going to get a skirt for it but i just went ahead and bought another helmet. I have seen other guys at the track and i have'nt seen anyone that has had to put a skirt on their helmet. Lots of guys wear the impact helmet which has the lowered chin bar, I think this helps keep out the dust. Do you wear anything with yours to keep the dust out?

porkchop4
01-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Matt at South Coffeyville when I had a a bandit I taped my vents and But now I have Racequips new helmet with the chin spoiler It has no vents in the front and you can feel the shield seal and got it special in flat black and extra fathead size and it was only $300 and I love it no complaint and it's SA2010

merc123
01-24-2013, 06:15 AM
I wound up getting the new G-Force CFG carbon fiber. The biggest reason I went back with G-force is still have nearly a whole box of tear offs and a replacement visor for it so I'll save some money in the long run. Also I already know how they fit my head. Plus I got a good discount on it.

Matt49
01-24-2013, 06:27 AM
No i have never put anything but the helmet on but i think most of the dust was coming in from the chin area, i was going to get a skirt for it but i just went ahead and bought another helmet. I have seen other guys at the track and i have'nt seen anyone that has had to put a skirt on their helmet. Lots of guys wear the impact helmet which has the lowered chin bar, I think this helps keep out the dust. Do you wear anything with yours to keep the dust out?

I wear a donut-style foam neck brace. Holdover from go-kart racing days where they are mandatory so now I feel naked without one. I never considered until this discussion that it might be serving a secondary function of keeping dust out but maybe it is.

hucktyson
01-24-2013, 08:25 AM
I wear a donut-style foam neck brace. Holdover from go-kart racing days where they are mandatory so now I feel naked without one. I never considered until this discussion that it might be serving a secondary function of keeping dust out but maybe it is.

I'm pretty sure wearing a donut style neck brace is like wearing a condom with the tip cut off

Matt49
01-24-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm pretty sure wearing a donut style neck brace is like wearing a condom with the tip cut off

Sorry if this information led you to believe I was endorsing a foam neck brace as an alternative to a HANS device. I never claimed I wore it as a safety measure.
The OP was looking for feedback on the Bandit and a perceived DUST issue. As a Bandit owner I thought my feedback might be of value to the OP and of interest to other Bandit owners who have experienced a dust issue.
I'm not counting on a foam donut to save me from potential neck injury, although it certainly could prevent some collar bone bruising in a violent crash and I also feel it helps stabilize my helmet/head on a rough race track.
To me it is a comfort issue which is kind of important as a driver. Discomfort is a distraction and distractions are dangerous.

jwracer11
01-24-2013, 08:35 PM
I agree with Matt49 on the neck brace. I wear one, also, for all the same reasons. I agree that it helps with the dust issue. There are certainly more positives to wearing one, than not wearing anything at all. As far as different helmet fit goes, everyone's head is a little different, so each one will fit everyone a little different.

merc123
01-25-2013, 07:12 AM
Supposedly the neck donuts cause more injury in wrecks than not wearing one.

7uptruckracer
01-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Wear a helmet skirt it keeps dust from getting under your helmet. I have a Bandit and a Vader both work great in high dust and I wear a Hans with them because I unfortunately run Nascar asphalt from time to time too on off weekends and they make you but I feel very secure with all of that on. Head sock and helmet skirt with some sort of Hans are a must IMHO

Matt49
01-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Supposedly the neck donuts cause more injury in wrecks than not wearing one.

Not trying to start an argument but I don't see how a piece of foam could cause an injury but maybe I'm missing something.

merc123
02-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Just got my G-Force carbon fiber helmet in. It is MUCH different than my other one and MUCH lighter. I didn't realize just how much lighter it would be thinking just a few ounces wouldn't matter. There is a very noticeable difference. Definitely a better helmet than the motorcycle G-Force I had.

Wheelman33
03-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Any more feedback on that Gforce CFG helmet. Looks like a nice helmet for a decent price. Any shield fogging? My Bell BR1 fogs up every night so lookin for somethin new that doesnt cost $750

merc123
03-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Not trying to start an argument but I don't see how a piece of foam could cause an injury but maybe I'm missing something.

From what I was reading what it does is act like a fulcrum.

When you have a wreck your head moves forward and down and can give you whiplash. Your chin is stopped by the donut but the back of your head still has forward momentum causing basal fractures (I think is what it was called).

Think of it like this. Ball up your first and lift up your head enough to put your chin into the "hole" it created, and your thumb should be just behind your chin "point". Tilt your head down until your hand is on your chest. Now take your other hand and put in the back of your head. Pull forward and down like you were going to keep pulling your head/fist into your chest. Do you feel the pressure on the back of your neck? That's what's occuring with the donut. It is causing an additional pivot point for your head/neck to pivot on during a crash.

With a head and neck restraint it is preventing the forward motion and the whiplash effect of the head moving forward and down The donut does not prevent the forward motion at all as your head is still free to move forward. The forward motion I'm talking about it when you sit straight up and you push your chin and head straigth out, parallel to the ground and now tuck your chin down.

Any more feedback on that Gforce CFG helmet. Looks like a nice helmet for a decent price. Any shield fogging? My Bell BR1 fogs up every night so lookin for somethin new that doesnt cost $750

It comes with a breath deflector so maybe that helps prevent fogging?

merc123
03-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Here's a good representation. On the right, if you had the neck collar your head is still moving forward as shown. It doesn't prevent your neck from moving like that, just from your head coming down. When your neck moves forward it is no longer using the collar. The collar is now the fulcrum and as "Arrow A" keeps your heading moving forward and down it is leveraging against the collar to put additional stress on the neck muscles, vertebrae and arteries.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/51/how-the-hans-device-saves-lives-inline-photo-435456-s-original.jpg

Chris Steele
03-12-2013, 08:11 AM
A breath deflector will most likely solve your fogging up issues. You can also try rubbing shaving cream on the inside of the shield. Let it dry and then wipe it off like taking dried wax off of a car. Indocil Art and Design sells breath deflectors 803-980-6765