PDA

View Full Version : Dipstick tube.

Doug_Guilds
01-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Does anyone know of anywhere I can order a Ford 2300 dipstick and tube? My tube has been broken and I want to replace it but can't find anywhere that sells em. Or is there one from another application that will work?

84Dave
01-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Doug........ I tired of the dipstick tubes breaking on my 2.0L's, so I drilled/tapped the hole and installed a stouter steel tube. Then I put the normal (6) quarts of oil in the modified pan, modified the 'full' mark on the dipstick, removed (1) quart of oil from the pan & modified that mark point also. I also installed a light spring on the dipstick to hold it down in the new tube. Just in case something happened inside the engine that might tend to blow the dipstick out of the tube & possibly blow oil all over the paved race track! Worked for me! -84Dave-

Doug_Guilds
01-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the info Dave. I will probably have to go that route which is probably a better idea anyways.

Big E tech
01-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Dave is 100% correct! That is indeed the best way to do it. If you can't make one yourself, I may be able to find a dipstick and tube out in the shop. Do yourself a favor though and make a nice short tube that won't vibrate and fracture like the OEM stuff does.

let-r-eat
01-23-2013, 05:33 PM
tap and insert pipe plug. Put inspection plug in oilpan. Dipsticks are for grocery getters.

84Dave
01-24-2013, 10:23 AM
And further........ when I switched from a wet to dry-sump oil system on my 2.0L's, many moons ago, I use the 'heavy-duty' dip-stick tube to hook up a vacuum gauge to monitor the vacuum pulled within the engine by the scavenge sections of the dry-sump pump. The same could be done for those of you that may be using an exhaust-evac system to pull a vacuum with the wet-sump system. -84Dave-