PDA

View Full Version : Metric upper a arm problems

modfan000
01-21-2013, 02:57 PM
I have a metric Monte Carlo when I race the car it has a problem bending the left from upper a arm only they are stock a arms. After about 2 races it bends an I gotta replace it. What I'm askin is what is causing this to happen? I'm tired of replacing them any info would really help

modfan000
01-21-2013, 07:29 PM
The mount is in stock location with the stock a arm an ball joint an it's not in a bind it's weird

istock11m
01-21-2013, 09:26 PM
The only way I know you can bend one is contact, clearance issue or being bound up.

Racer96m
01-22-2013, 11:25 PM
I cant even imagine how that can happen??? The lower arm is fine? I would start by removing the shock and spring, hooking up the spindle and move it through its range of travel to check for binds. Something has to be hitting that shouldnt be.

Dave

modfan000
01-23-2013, 08:51 AM
The lower a frame is fine it's just the upper every time. The only thing that has been changed is the lower an it was shortend 1/2 inch but was checked an wasn't binding at time this was done

Racer96m
01-23-2013, 11:55 AM
The lower a frame is fine it's just the upper every time. The only thing that has been changed is the lower an it was shortend 1/2 inch but was checked an wasn't binding at time this was done

Only one explanation that I can think of. The upper ball joint is at max angle and hits the ball joint housing, thus the bind, but the suspension isnt bottomed out so it keeps moving and bends the arm. Now 99.9999% of the time, the ball joint stud will bend, but like I said above, remove spring and shock. Reassemble and move through its range of travel. You will find it, something is binding.

Dave

modfan000
01-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Well if the ball joint is bottomed out what can I do to fix it?

moving violation
01-23-2013, 04:47 PM
you can add a couple of washers between the balljoint and "A" frame on the 2 inside bolts or outside bolts depending on wich way the balljoint is bottoming on its side. you basically want to level the ball joint.
scroll down about ten posts to METRIC FRONT END HELP it was discussed in detail there.