PDA

View Full Version : Metric rear end width and alignment

twizted
01-22-2013, 04:03 PM
We finally got a floater for our metric pure stock car but is about an inch or maybe two wider than front is that ok? Also as we start locating metric brackets on it do we center the rear under the car or string it to line up with right front? Thanks for input from people who have done this work.

racingford
01-22-2013, 10:34 PM
I would probably string it and line up the right side and make sure theres no lead and is square. some will tell you to center it and use differnt offsets to adjust the right rear in but going to have pretty shallow wheel on to get it inside the right front and theres nothing wrong with left rear out side left front some, cant stress enough about the squareness, string the greese zerks on lower ball joints back to strings on rearend.

Racer96m
01-22-2013, 11:13 PM
I had a 58" rear in my car. You dont want the rear wider than the front, but if you are going to use it, I would put a 4" offset wheel on the Rt and set that RR as close to the frame as you can. I had my RF out as far as I could get it and my RR in as far as I could get it. You can get the RR as close as 1" to the frame because as you corner the bottom of the RR tire pulls to the left, but the top wont hit. The LR tire needs more frame clearance because to top of the LR tire pulls in during cornering and will rub if its to close. If you set it up with a 4" offset, you can always loosen it up for a tacky track by putting on a 3 or 2" offset. I didnt like hanging the LR out more that the LF. The car always drove off the corner better with the left side in line.

Dave

RACIN43
01-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Always have the left side tracking and the right rear in as far as you can it will give the car better side bite and corner entry.

dirtplay18
01-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Always have the left side tracking and the right rear in as far as you can it will give the car better side bite and corner entry.
Agreed 100%!!

twizted
01-26-2013, 05:45 AM
I wanted a 58 but found a used 60 for great price not exactly what I wanted but 1/10 the price of a new floater. I never of squaring off the left side we always used the right? If we couldnt get the right rear tucked back up against the frame wouldnt that cause the car to be loose on exit? We have had a problem with loose on exit that we a starting to get a hand on and I would hate to bring that demon back. Thank for advice though something to think about.

RACIN43
01-26-2013, 07:27 AM
Right rear offset will effect corner entry not exit. Of course if you can't get through the corner you can't get off of it, but the right rear offset will not change corner exit as long as it gets in the corner properly and not just hung out of shape. Just some of my experience but everyone drives different. I've just always learned to square off of the left side for dirt racing. Asphalt on the other hand squares off of the right side. Saying that if the track that you run turns really hard and rubbered up like asphalt then in reality you could square off of the right side but i don't recomend it. Stick with the left side tracking and play with right rear offset to get the car set right getting in the corner and to the center and the rest should work itself out.

Racer96m
01-26-2013, 09:58 AM
I wanted a 58 but found a used 60 for great price not exactly what I wanted but 1/10 the price of a new floater. I never of squaring off the left side we always used the right? If we couldnt get the right rear tucked back up against the frame wouldnt that cause the car to be loose on exit? We have had a problem with loose on exit that we a starting to get a hand on and I would hate to bring that demon back. Thank for advice though something to think about.

Exit is going to be all about the LR and LR bite. The nice thing about the rear set up with RR sucked all the way in is, if you want it looser for the heat race, you throw a wheel spacer in or go with less wheel offset.

dave.

twizted
01-28-2013, 11:54 AM
They guy that jigged the brackets on centered the rear and i'm gonna just buy a couple 4" offset wheels for the back or some 2" for the front I guess. Thanks for your advice.