PDA

View Full Version : Open Body Rules - Ideas?

raceking26
01-24-2013, 09:51 AM
What are some things that a person can do for some advantages if your body rules are pretty open? The class im running is a bmod type class. 602 and a 5in spoiler.

Roof?
Sails?
Rear deck height?
Nose?

BPRC MAN
01-24-2013, 10:05 AM
What are some things that a person can do for some advantages if your body rules are pretty open? The class im running is a bmod type class. 602 and a 5in spoiler.

Roof?
Sails?
Rear deck height?
Nose?
Roof rake is a big thing in ump and most mod guys here are dishing the decking like a late model and getting away with it

twisterf5
01-24-2013, 10:08 AM
think the most gain you would get would be in the deck if it was mine and 5inch spoiler is all i could use i would build as much angle in the deck to make up for that little spoiler. that is one way we do it in our late model.

charcoal01
01-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Work on the rf area behind the tire, then down the whole right side, trying to keep air out from under the body.

dirttrackrocker
01-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Depends on what you mean by "Pretty Open"??? If you can, I would slope the entire deck on the right side down so the front is down at frame level (kinda like as NE dirt modified)

Racer96m
01-24-2013, 12:43 PM
If the rules are that open I would build the deck like an upside down Aircraft wing. Flat on top but air foil on bottom to create down force. It creates lift for an airplane but works the other way if you flip it over. Just like a Sprint car wing.

Dave

raceking26
01-27-2013, 11:54 AM
I like the responses so far. There are a few rules. Basically enough to make sure it looks like a modified but they dont have a list of measurements like IMCA does.

I know the deck width is 66in max, and must be same width front to rear.
Engine compartment must remain open.
Hood must remain flat or slopped toward front, no reverse rake hood.
No panel infront of right front door to engine compartment.
Nose must remaim inside front bumper.
Nose panel must be flat.
5in max spoiler.

Thats basically it. Nothing about roofs, sails, deck height and slope, hood width, max size of hood sides, etc.

With just running the 602, can a person get to carried away with to much rake in the deck? Rake it from the front to the back or leave the front flat and rake it from the middle back? What else can a person do?

racin6mod
01-27-2013, 06:32 PM
you can do alot with just a few small bends in the body to direct the air flow away from under the car and to the spoiler. check out this photo of a usmts car they've spent the most time and bent the rules to ther max on air flow.the 49 car is a ump legal mod he's always got some pretty good looking cars with air trick if you look close.

CsR41
11-10-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm going to bump this up rather than make a new thread.

Is there a gain to be had with a reverse rake hood?

Edit: I have a 8" spoiler.

Throwin' it in
11-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Yes, if you reverse rake the hood, it will allow the air to continue on to the decking with less disturbance. The whole point of your aero package is to get that air to the spoiler as clean as possible to create the downforce.

CsR41
11-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Well I understand that's the point, but I wasn't sure if the reverse rake would help, or hurt WITH a spoiler or if it were more for cars without one.

What about the spoiler themselves? I heard a "lazy c" is also better..

Lizardracing
11-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Wickerbills are generally pretty effective.