PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Fabrication

LateModel B23
01-25-2013, 12:48 PM
Putting this new (at least new to me) car together. The headers are Schoenfeld 1186V, the track requires a cone muffler like the Dynatech Vortex Cone.

What is the best way and how is everyone doing their modified exhaust these days? Just weld the cone in the collector and weld a turn-down to that and let it dump? OR take the time and effort to build/fabricate something that goes almost back to the rear wheels.

racinjj
01-25-2013, 01:31 PM
I always get the exhaust as long as the rules will allow. You will gain more torque and not lose any top end power.

Racer96m
01-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Those 1186V Headers come streight out on the left side so unless you cut a hole on the body you will need a turn down. Headers dont last long on dirt cars so the less I can expose to get damaged, the longer they last. Just weld it in the collector and tack a turndown on it you run them, If you do extend them, do the same length on both sides to keep the scavange balance.

Dave

JHobbs26
01-31-2013, 02:55 AM
ive always bolted my vortec mufflers in, 1/4" bolt on each muffler flange. use a true lock nut, not a nylon lock nut.

istock11m
01-31-2013, 06:07 AM
X2 on the 1/4 in bolts. No need to run any thing on the right side, but you can run a turndown on the left. My opinion is the more stuff you have hanging off the end of the header the greater the chance of the header breaking.