PDA

View Full Version : Racetronics system

kevpow
01-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Has anyone used one of the Racetronics traction control devices, more specifically the GPS controlled units? My friend with a modified just purchased one and it looked kind of complicated. He asked for my help installing it but not sure if its even worth the time. Wanted some input before spending a weekend trying to figure it out.

4bangerhotrod
01-25-2013, 08:28 PM
ive never messed with a racetronics unit. but most people on here will be telling you that traction control is junk an a waist of money. but from my experience they do work if you know how to properly set it up, and theres a lot more people running tc than most people think or know. tc is something that is installed and setup while nobodys hanging around at the shop, most of the time the driver and crew chief are the only ones that know its on the car. its not goin to make a huge difference in the car and not going to put you from a midpack car to winning every week but it can take a 2nd or 3rd place car an make it capable of winning. I only know a few local an regional drivers that run it and one of them runs very well with it over the last few yrs he has won a prob close to 10 $10,000 races and quite a few $3-$7000 shows. I have worked with a few national drivers that run it also and I know for sure that one of them currently has it and had it last yr, and he won a few real big races with it last yr. all my experience with it is with LM's and it helps there I can only guess that with skinny mod tires it would have to help more than it does on a LM. with all that being said now it can really hurt the car also and make the car hard to drive senting you backwards through the field and it can also blow up motors if not done right. One of the big things in getting it setup properly to where it will help you instead of hurting you is to get it to where it controls engine acceleration it needs to allow some wheel spin but not to much, but if you stop wheel spin totally the car will become hard to drive and wont turn as soon as the wheels start to slip it reduces the power to the motor when it trys to gain rpm it senses wheel spin again just continually killing your acceleration, where if the wheels are slipping it still lets your motor build rpm it just controls how fast it builds them according to how much wheel spin your getting. its a lot of work getting them setup and im not even sure you can adjust all units like that. I know these units they use are pretty high dollar so im not sure if the cheaper ones work the same way or not. now some people call it cheating some don't, its up to you to decide if you are or not or if your willing to take that chance.

zeke23z
01-25-2013, 11:29 PM
TC is for nerds!

ALF401
01-26-2013, 09:17 AM
TC is for nerds!

I said back in the 70's electronics won't have much of a future with cars!!

LITE-INN
01-26-2013, 09:40 AM
how is that working out

ALF401
01-26-2013, 09:44 AM
how is that working out

As a famous radio personality says "Not too Good!!" Lol

traviskoehler
01-26-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm sure Formula 1 cars will be going back to carburetors and points any day now.

Travis

ALF401
01-30-2013, 02:21 PM
IMO, spend a weekend and really do your homework. Remember nothing ventured then nothing gained. I have never use any TC but I would try it in a heartbeat if I could afford it. Call the manufacturer and get his advice. Ask about what the teams that are doing well with it. How do they set up and manage the use of the TC. I don't think you are going to get much help here. No one wants to admit to using it, everyone wants it!! LOL Good luck! PM me sometime and let me know what you did and how it worked out.

ep33510
02-02-2013, 12:28 PM
kevpow

To answer your question about Racetronics, Yes it does work and as mentioned above it is not a Zero to Hero setup. Like all the TC stuff out there including our Tracs device it takes some setup and driving style changes to gain the most out of it. Ours is a manually operated system to keep things affordable and work the grey area of the rule sets out there. We have several customers that have the system your asking about. They like it but it is for folks that have deeper pockets then the average racer. The two systems we compete against are Davis & Racetronics, one uses timing adjustments the other is a braking system based setup. Ours affects the ignition box ie ( 6al,hvc, hei ) by forcing the ignition amplifer to drop its output. Usually it is the smoother driver that can be tactical on the track that can get the most out of any of these devices. As mentioned above the number of cars that carry one of these systems is alot higher than most want to know about. Ask yourself, last season how many times did you see one to three cars that seem to be always on railroad tracks when the rest of the field is A_ _holes to Elbows trying to drive through the same slick corners. Thats usually the question we ask when folks are calling about what we have to offer. Its not for everyone you need to have the car dialed in and a driver that has a clue about the racing game. Just my .02.......

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-02-2013, 12:53 PM
I have seen the best Davis unit do nothing for a decent driver. People always cry TC when they get their azz handed to them. They can only do so much.

IMO it is a hell of a lot easier to find a couple tenths in setup. This is especially true if you are a local racer who isn't winning. I have gained multiple cars a second a lap in a couple practice sessions and I am nobody.

I have seen guys embarrassed on a slick track by poor boys with HEI ignition without so much as a rev chip hooked up to them. The car can only go so fast as the setup under it. As John Matareese says, "Dont waste your money!"

ep33510
02-08-2013, 06:52 AM
Popular subject! A lot of great questions and interest I am glad we could help sort somethings out for those who called. If you have any more questions feel free to contact me. And Just Remember To Keep It In The Blue Groove!