PDA

View Full Version : torque on cromoley 5.7 rods.

dannyracer6
01-26-2013, 05:13 PM
I think I just had a brain fart but I cant remember what the torque on the esslinger 5.7 cm rods are. Any one out there .

84Dave
01-26-2013, 09:15 PM
Dan....... is that '5.7 cm' or '5.7 in.' rod length? FWIW...... I always install/torque the rod bolts/capscrews using the 'stretch' method. I would suspect Esslinger likely has the specs for torque/stretch for your rods? 84Dave

dannyracer6
01-26-2013, 10:09 PM
I am sorry dave, I ment to say they are 5.7 chromoly esslinger rods with the cap screws. I just abreiated the chromoly with cm. They are part of the esslinger weisco kit. I looked on their web site and cant find any tech help. I figured you would catch this. Guess I can call them next week.

Dan

Big E tech
01-27-2013, 02:06 PM
I am sorry dave, I ment to say they are 5.7 chromoly esslinger rods with the cap screws. I just abreiated the chromoly with cm. They are part of the esslinger weisco kit. I looked on their web site and cant find any tech help. I figured you would catch this. Guess I can call them next week.DanDanny, stretch the bolts to .0055" on those rods. The 3/8" ARP bolts will take roughly 55lbs of torque to reach a stretch of .0055". Please do yourself a favor and always go by the stretch as that's a way more accurate way of tightening the bolts to the desired clamp load.

dannyracer6
01-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Thank you. That is what I needed.

84Dave
01-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Dan........ Big E has nailed a good recommendation. Now I'll tell you how I do it. If you don't have one, JEG's has a good stretch gauge for about $55. I've used the gauge a number of years. I perform the whole stretch process with the rod between (2) bars of aluminum in my bench vice. ARP & Crower gave me some good advice. ARP...... stretch the capscrews through (3) cycles, with the appropriate lube. Why? The new threads will be 'burnished' through (3) cycles and the torque/stretch will be most accurate by the time you perform the 3rd cycle. Crower..... when tightening to the stretch spec, tighten the bolt/capscrew in a single smooth movement of the torque wrench. Do not bounce back and forth between the fasteners with incremental torque movements. My personal findings......... I use, and have always used, a 'beam' torque wrench. I hate 'clickers' because I didn't trust the calibration I put a couple of them through. When going through the (3) cycles on the bench vice, I always have the rod bearings installed that I'll use in the engine. Ya gotta 'crush' those bad boys, so the bearings should be part of the torque process. I use a piece of paper & log the torque required to obtain the stretch on every rod bolt. Why? I do not try to use the stretch gauge within the bottom end of the engine when assembling the rods onto the crank. Lack of space can be a problem. So I use the values from the bench log to final assemble the bottom end. Big E..... did I miss anything, or would you recommend anything otherwise, based on your experience in Dan's shops? -84Dave-

dannyracer6
01-28-2013, 07:53 PM
I am in the process of doing just that. Your info will help me. I have the b eam torque w, and My friend has a stretch deal. I will finish the process this week. Thanks so much.