PDA

View Full Version : Aluminim center section for 9"?

Jeffery
01-28-2013, 07:29 AM
Any benifits to running an aluminum center section on a 9" in a pure stock?

Curious if moving the weight off the rear end as any benifits, and worth the extra money over the cast iron piece I have now.

Steve_Voisinet
01-28-2013, 07:43 AM
If it is legal in your class, it is always helpful to lower the unsprung weight in any race car. You have to decide if it is in your budget or not.

speedbuggy
01-28-2013, 07:59 AM
While I think everyone will agree with Steve_Voisine in saying reduced unsprung weight is always a good thing, this would be one of the LAST things anyone should spend money on in a Pure Stock if your talking time/money vs benefit. It might make a difference between winning and losing in 1 out of 500 races, all else being equal. Aluminum diffs are not legal in most Pure Stock classes anyways.

You'd be better off taking that money and going to a driving school or getting a better carb. Of course, if money and time are not a consideration, go for it.

Jeffery
01-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Points taken.

Curious what weight difference between the two really is? 20 lbs mabey?

Racer96m
01-28-2013, 09:01 AM
In a Pure Stock Class, where most arent allowed to add weight, Ill take all the weight in the back I can get. Even if its unsprung. Hey I like spending money as much as anyone, but just cant see any real advantage to it in that class. Just my .02

Dave

Jeffery
01-28-2013, 09:38 AM
In a Pure Stock Class, where most arent allowed to add weight, Ill take all the weight in the back I can get. Even if its unsprung. Hey I like spending money as much as anyone, but just cant see any real advantage to it in that class. Just my .02

Dave

We are allowed to add weight in this class. Just didnt know if anyone was using one of these successfully, or if the weight difference amounted to much.

Hard to imagine the advantages of unsprung weight reduction, without actually experiencing it first. Price tag to that experience however, is why I'm asking before I buy.

stockcar5
01-28-2013, 10:26 AM
i would do if if you are allowed and you can add lead. any decrease in unsprung weight is a plus. i've built a few aluminum centers for drag guys. with a full spool (35 spline) they weighed around 20lbs less than iron. a good aluminum center section is also stronger than a factory iron center.

speedbuggy
01-28-2013, 02:58 PM
We are allowed to add weight in this class. Just didnt know if anyone was using one of these successfully, or if the weight difference amounted to much.

Hard to imagine the advantages of unsprung weight reduction, without actually experiencing it first. Price tag to that experience however, is why I'm asking before I buy.

The advantage of reducing unsprung weight is that it allows the suspension (front or rear) to follow the track surface. It will also allow a lighter spring/shock package to control the axle and wheel movements over a rough track. Watch a Pro-4 truck go over one of those “un-rhythm” sections and you can see why a lighter spring and shock (and wheel/tire) would be better. Every time you hit a bump and your tire loses contact with the track, that end of the car will lose grip.

IMO, if it’s allowed at your track and you want to spend the money, get aluminum calipers and brake hats for that rear axle. I’d take 3 lbs of weight off of each end of the axle over 20 lbs dead in the center anyday.

9car
01-28-2013, 05:28 PM
one thing for sure, if your laying flat of your back, and reach out and grab one and slide it in, you can sure tell the difference , LOL

C10
01-28-2013, 07:59 PM
We ran one in our pro stock/ limited late model with aluminum spool. The weight difference was 27 pounds IIRC and the spool with light weight gear really helped with engine breaking and engine rev as compared to non light weight stuff. They are STRONGER then the cast iron piece and the NASCAR front bearing is a good thing too. The rule of thumb is 1 pound of unsprung weight is worth 7 pounds sprung weight. Everything reacts so much faster and faster is good.

Jeffery
01-29-2013, 09:01 AM
The advantage of reducing unsprung weight is that it allows the suspension (front or rear) to follow the track surface. It will also allow a lighter spring/shock package to control the axle and wheel movements over a rough track. Watch a Pro-4 truck go over one of those “un-rhythm” sections and you can see why a lighter spring and shock (and wheel/tire) would be better. Every time you hit a bump and your tire loses contact with the track, that end of the car will lose grip.

IMO, if it’s allowed at your track and you want to spend the money, get aluminum calipers and brake hats for that rear axle. I’d take 3 lbs of weight off of each end of the axle over 20 lbs dead in the center anyday.

I like the brake hat idea, but they only offer them in shallow backspacing, I run 4" wheels on the back. I see i can get lightened rotors that take a lb or two off each side, might try that.