PDA

View Full Version : Twm Birdcages

crash46
01-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Have a quick change, getting a newer version of a quick change. My question is should i try removing my old birdcages or should i just spend the money and get new ones. Have tried to remove the old ones but have not been able to budge them. lol , any help would be appreciated on how to remove them or just buy new ones. Thanks

Matt49
01-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Have a quick change, getting a newer version of a quick change. My question is should i try removing my old birdcages or should i just spend the money and get new ones. Have tried to remove the old ones but have not been able to budge them. lol , any help would be appreciated on how to remove them or just buy new ones. Thanks

Unless money is no object I would try to salvage them. I take it whomever put them on didn't put any oil between the tube and the bearings. Rust develops on the surface that is in contact with the tube and they get stuck. They can be removed but it takes a while. Wood block and hammer. Been there, done that.
If you are getting a new quick change you could just buy the new center section or center section and bells and swap tubes and bells over or just tubes.

7uptruckracer
01-29-2013, 09:27 AM
If they are grease able try that and use penetrating oil soak and come back later soak some more and come back :) and cross your fingers....also a good negotiation hammer helps

fastford
01-29-2013, 07:51 PM
PB blaster works the best for me. thing is even if you have to drive them off, the brg is replaceable if you mess one up, i havent bought any in a while but i think they were only like 20 bucks each from twm

crash46
01-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys for the info, i'm gonna gettem greased up and oiled up and slide'em off. I hope, need to get this Gen X rolling. Oh yea a bigger hammer. lol

Matt49
01-30-2013, 07:58 PM
Thanks guys for the info, i'm gonna gettem greased up and oiled up and slide'em off. I hope, need to get this Gen X rolling. Oh yea a bigger hammer. lol

Are you taking birdcages off a smack and trying to put them on a GenX?

hucktyson
01-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Are you taking birdcages off a smack and trying to put them on a GenX?

Then he would almost have a gen xtra lol

7uptruckracer
01-31-2013, 08:51 AM
You can never have a big enough negotiating bamma

crash46
01-31-2013, 10:10 PM
No sir, They coming off a Gen X and Going back on Gen X. I did remove one off our old Smack Down once and it came off pretty easy. But the Gen X seems to be a little tougher.