PDA

View Full Version : Dry sump help!!!

missile07
02-13-2013, 08:02 PM
First year helping with a super late model & dry sump system. We fired the engine off and it blew the oil filter loose from the remote filter base. We were unsure if the filter wasn't tightened good so we put a new one on it and tried it again. This time the engine ran fine. After a while we started the engine again and it blew the filter loose.

Are we missing something? We have the tank & valve cover vented. The remote filter base is a 3/4inch threaded mount.

Pressure on the gauge was 40-60 idling to slight rev.

Any ideas on what could be doing this? Too much pressure?

37mod
02-13-2013, 08:11 PM
what filter are you using?

missile07
02-13-2013, 08:13 PM
FRAM PH 8 A 3/4 inch.....

missile07
02-13-2013, 09:33 PM
We are thinking the GPM is low on this particular filter (FRAM PH 8a) . This was just to break in the engine and we plan on using a racing filter but didnt know why it was blowing the filter off.

ALF401
02-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Do you have a steel mesh filter on the return line going to the storage tank?? If this is restricted you will get back pressure and the spin on oil filter is the weakest link.

missile07
02-14-2013, 11:14 AM
No mesh filter going back to the tank.

We do not have a bypass for the oil anywhere in the system. Do we need a bypass at the filter mount?

What kind of filters are most ppl using

hucktyson
02-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Are you sure the oil filter is the correct thread for your mount ? Cornett recommends K&N oil filters so thats what I use. Also recommended is the hp4 size filter with the hp 6 size thread the larger hole obviously flows more oil. But 40-60 psi shouldn't even blow off a generic filter unless the thread is wrong

missile07
02-14-2013, 11:39 AM
The thread is 3/4 inch & the Fram PH 8a is 3/4 inch.

The flow is what has got me thinking....this fram flows at 3-5 GPM & the Wix racing flows at 28 GPM.

Just tried a regular wix at 10 GPM and it blew it off. Going to put on a new oil pressure gauge and make sure something isn't messed up there.

When I say blowing them off...by that I mean blowing them loose. The filter isn't coming off just coming unsealed/loose from the mount.

JustAddDirt
02-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Cut filter apart to see if blew the media to shreads. If it did that will back up pressure in the filter and blow the rubber seal out.
I have had that happen with a Fram PH8A on my mustang street-strip toy. they are junk.
try a Motorcraft FL1a. ,it is a better filter with better media.
that should be the equivelent to the fram PH8a
NEVER use a Fram on anything preformance oriented.
That would be were I start.
but run a wix racing filter, and you will b just fine

perfconn
02-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Best thing to do is get rid of that filter mount that uses stock filters.Buy the big 2 qt mount and use a racing filter.Brand isn't important Fram or Wix either one will work but get a racing filter.Put an oberg in the system also.

LateModel B23
02-14-2013, 02:11 PM
I replied on the other message board, and I will add here to do as Perfconn is suggesting.

Here is how I have ran the oil system on my late models for lots of years, even the current one is plumbed this way -

At the back of the car on the right upper frame rail is a Peterson breather tank, in front of the RR tire (in the normal spot for a dry sump tank on a late model) is a 3 gal. Peterson oil tank.

Out of the oil tank: -16 line to pressure in fitting on pump (bellhousing mounted Barnes), -12 line out of pump to Fram HP6 remote filter (note on filters - Have used the WIX and NAPA with no problem, I just happen to get a better deal on the Fram lately), -12 out of filter to deck mounted Seatrab cooler, -12 out of cooler to pressure in on motor.

Out of motor: 2 each -12's out of oil pan and 1 -12 out of lifter valley to scavenge in on pump. -16 out of pump then in and out of Peterson in-line filter to oil tank.

Out of oil tank is a line running "up-hill" and back the breather tank. Vavle covers on motor are Doug Lee solid aluminum covers with a -10 line running out of the back of the right side cover back the breather tank.

sj valley dave
02-14-2013, 05:14 PM
The above post is how ours in plumbed with the exception of (3) #12 lines from the pan and (1) #10 from the lifter valley and we run an in line Peterson back to the tank. We bought the 2 qt filter mount from Perfconn and use the WIX filter...Never had any issues...

37mod
02-14-2013, 07:57 PM
put a racing filter on!

let-r-eat
02-14-2013, 08:43 PM
You sure your not plumbed through your filter mount backwards?I like this filter mount http://www.jegs.com/i/Peterson-Fluid-Systems/615/09-1502/10002/-1?parentProductId=2463358