PDA

View Full Version : ohlin shock maintenence and selection

lemmm117
02-17-2013, 10:56 AM
i work on a 2012 orange front rocket. we run mainly short smooth dry/slippery tracks. we run set 9 ohlin piggyback shocks. they have 2 seasons on them now. is it a good idea to get them serviced or is it unnecessary? also is set 9 the proper choice for this situation? i use the ohlins suggested tuning-adjustment guide for settings. i have played with the settings according to their suggestions, but to be honest i do not notice much if any gains in the effort to get more traction. also, should i send these back to ohlins or should i explore other options for re-building, servicing, and tech assistance? i would appreciate any input, thanks.

MasterSbilt_Racer
02-17-2013, 01:08 PM
You should, at a minimum, have the shocks dynoed to make sure they are performing correctly.

lemmm117
02-17-2013, 04:36 PM
You should, at a minimum, have the shocks dynoed to make sure they are performing correctly. for what its worth, i do have a 4 speed maxwell industries peak force dyno to compare numbers as time progresses.

TALON75
02-17-2013, 05:30 PM
After 2 years I'd say its time for some fresh oil and I would have the seals replaced for good measure. Run the shock on the dyno for 15-20mins then retest, might surprise you how different it can be. I think you would be better off to invest the the tools and parts to do it yourself and have a better understanding of how the shock works and be able to adjust them how you want, it takes some time but well worth it in my opinion.

lemmm117
02-17-2013, 06:28 PM
it probably would be a good idea to get the proper ohlin tooling and go through them myself. i have rebuilt re-valved and repaired QA1 shocks for several years now so i do have a good understanding of those shocks, and a decent understanding of shocks in general, but i am also trying to ease out of the responsibilities/work involved with keeping the wheels on this racecar. the shock game is starting to pass me up these days, and i wouldn't want to dial my team out of the ballpark by custom valving the shocks myself and veering off the beaten path. i'm just looking for options as to somewhere or someone to call upon for service and tech advice.