PDA

View Full Version : Starter problems

fordracer7
02-21-2013, 06:35 PM
This is the first year we've had a bert transmission set up and are having problems getting the engine to turn over. Bellhousing and starter were purchased used. We had the starter rebuilt. The idel gears move freely. The starter will engage the idel gears but will not spin the engine over. The engine is free and can be turned with a breaker bar. Any suggestions beside striking a match to it?

perfconn
02-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Check your battery to frame ground wire.

racedad17
02-21-2013, 10:00 PM
try different battery, we had battery go bad showed good voltage but wouldnt turn motor over, plates shortage out inside battery, replaced battery after replacing everything else and this worked

jr18
02-22-2013, 05:17 AM
The person that rebuilt your starter, has he ever rebuilt a reverse mount stater before? If not he may have put the spring in that pulls the gear back on the factory (Dodge, Toyoto) starters. I had the same problem a few years back. I rebuiled my own starters, and the first time I went thru my starter I thought the spring that pull the gear back was missing. so I put one in. I had a good working starter and compared the two and thats how I found that the spring is left out on these starters. the idel gear has a spring the pushes it away form the fly wheel. and when both springs are use the starter is not strong enough to push both springs. The way to check this is to remove the starter and pull on the starter gear and if it snaps back it's, the spring needs to be removed.

jedclampit
02-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Are you using an external starter solenoid (like a ford used)? You may need to install a jumper wire @ the starter.