PDA

View Full Version : camaro parts on a metric mod

nwdirtracer00
02-23-2013, 11:54 PM
First I have a mid-size metric frame, I have nova lowers on it and was wondering what I can do
help with the bump steer on it. I was told to use a 82-92 camaro centerlink to get the geometry.right what I need to know will I have to use the pitman arm and idler arm too, And if so will it bolt up in the same place as the stock metric ones.
Can't run the after market afco one. If there is another way of doing without have to do this your help would be very welcome.

hope I explained this ok

gangster49
02-24-2013, 07:51 AM
if you are using Pinto spindles you use a 70-81 Camaro centerlink with the metric idler and Pitman arm.

nwdirtracer00
02-24-2013, 10:58 AM
no I hve the metric spindles on it right now. That is why i was wondering if I have to change them. I was reading that changing to a taller balljoint will help too. But i guess I have to change the whole thing..

HEAVY DUTY
02-24-2013, 02:03 PM
First I have a mid-size metric frame, I have nova lowers on it and was wondering what I can do
help with the bump steer on it. I was told to use a 82-92 camaro centerlink to get the geometry.right what I need to know will I have to use the pitman arm and idler arm too, And if so will it bolt up in the same place as the stock metric ones.
Can't run the after market afco one. If there is another way of doing without have to do this your help would be very welcome.

hope I explained this ok

The ds1049 camaro drag link helps the bump steer because it shortens the tie rods ( wider spacing between the tie rods ) You still use the stock metric idler and pitman arms. The drag link is a little wider than the metric and will put the idler and pitman arms at an angle away from each other. I like to run the piman arm straight and let the idler point towards the rr wheel to get the RF tie rod short enough. The k6117 lower ball joint is taller and will also help raise the roll center, but the spindles will have to be reamed to fit. The AFCO drag link is the camaro ds 1049. It is an oem replacement part, not fabricated. I think that IMCA rules say you have to run the stock drag link for the frame being used. With pinto spindles you can get the bump steer closer with the stock drag link than you can with the metric spindles, because the steering arms are higher and allow you to raise the tie rod end up to compensate for the tierods being too long.The longer ball joints also help . You will more than likely have to hammer your frame for tie rod clearance on the RF.

dirtmodified3
02-25-2013, 03:05 PM
The ds1049 camaro drag link helps the bump steer because it shortens the tie rods ( wider spacing between the tie rods ) You still use the stock metric idler and pitman arms. The drag link is a little wider than the metric and will put the idler and pitman arms at an angle away from each other. I like to run the piman arm straight and let the idler point towards the rr wheel to get the RF tie rod short enough. The k6117 lower ball joint is taller and will also help raise the roll center, but the spindles will have to be reamed to fit. The AFCO drag link is the camaro ds 1049. It is an oem replacement part, not fabricated. I think that IMCA rules say you have to run the stock drag link for the frame being used. With pinto spindles you can get the bump steer closer with the stock drag link than you can with the metric spindles, because the steering arms are higher and allow you to raise the tie rod end up to compensate for the tierods being too long.The longer ball joints also help . You will more than likely have to hammer your frame for tie rod clearance on the RF.

Confirming that it is okay to have the idler and pitman arms at an angle away from each other? I heard that you want them in line together? Is that lower ball joint used with the pinto spindles? One other question for anyone real quick. I am currently experiencing issues with my steering. My steering turns so much that the brake caliper hits the shocks and bends them, and/or the tire rubs excessively on the frame. Could this issue be caused by the incorrect steering box used on the car? What would the correct steering box be? Thank you for everyone's time.

jsf74
02-25-2013, 03:38 PM
On my metric impressive If I run a 3 off wheel it rubbs an 2 off wheel fixed my problems.

HEAVY DUTY
02-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Confirming that it is okay to have the idler and pitman arms at an angle away from each other? I heard that you want them in line together? Is that lower ball joint used with the pinto spindles? One other question for anyone real quick. I am currently experiencing issues with my steering. My steering turns so much that the brake caliper hits the shocks and bends them, and/or the tire rubs excessively on the frame. Could this issue be caused by the incorrect steering box used on the car? What would the correct steering box be? Thank you for everyone's time.

It is ok for the idler and pitman arms to angle away from each other. It is better if they were straight, but everything is a trade off using stock parts. You will have to fab a steering stop to keep from tires rubbing. The reason they rub is the pinto spindles have a shorter steering arm which lets the wheels turn farther than they would with the metric spindles.

dirtmodified3
02-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Yes, I fabricated a stop on under the frame horns on each side. Just thought I would get other peoples thoughts. Any thoughts on the steering box tho? Any suggestions on if there is a particular one to run?