PDA

View Full Version : Axle flange gasket?

SRT17
03-02-2013, 07:28 PM
I have a 9 inch rear end with the big ford (new style) ends. What axle flange gasket do I need? Part number? Part stores can't or won't look it up with out knowing what make and model it is for.... I can't find any info on the web for dimensions. I sure do miss the ma-and-pop part stores.... That knew parts... Thanks

istock11m
03-02-2013, 07:52 PM
A little silicone will do the trick.

SRXSRULE
03-02-2013, 08:11 PM
There isnt a gasket used on that flange. The seal thats part of the bearing is the inner and outter seal for the axle. Make sure the retainer is not bent or it wont seal up correctly. I had good luck using the aftermarket retainers and I doubled them up and ran two on each axle. It gave great support and didnt bend and start to leak. Eric

SRT17
03-02-2013, 08:51 PM
There is a gasket... I took the rear end apart to weld my brackets on. It is in bad shape... That is why I want a new one to go back in it...

Krooser
03-03-2013, 12:48 AM
they do use a gasket... Randy's Ring and Pinion carry's them as well a John's 9" Factory and napa.

Racer96m
03-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Before I switched to a floater rear end, I couldnt keep those "new style" bearings from coming apart. They just dont seem to handle the side load like the old tapered bearings did. They would blow the seals out the side of the bearings before they come apart, that was always my indicator that they were going. Got tired of oil on my brakes all the time and switched to a floater. You are gona want to run those inner axle seals in both tubes to help control the oil.

Dave.

SRXSRULE
03-03-2013, 08:18 PM
There is a gasket... I took the rear end apart to weld my brackets on. It is in bad shape... That is why I want a new one to go back in it...

Are you using OEM axles and retainers? Maybe were not talking about the same gasket. Eric