PDA

View Full Version : Bert

dfhotlm33c
03-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Bought used Bert..planning on using with standard bellhousing and block mounted starter. Is the only part I need the coupler? Do I need a slave cylinder? There appears to be a few fittings in the transmission. Is there a file out there that details proper installation of the transmission? I know this is pretty basic, but I don't want to screw things up! Thanks

talclipse
03-04-2013, 08:56 AM
All you will need is the coupler. There is no slave cylinder just plumb your clutch master cylinder into the transmission and you will be good to go. Keep a very close on the factory bell housing as they have a reputation for cracking.

merc123
03-04-2013, 09:43 AM
You're going to need to use an automatic flywheel. The starter won't engage the Bert flywheel. Just get the coupler and bolt it on to the flywheel.

Here's some more info. It says to use the Automatic Transmission fluid but some rebuilders recommend straight 30 weight motor oil instead.
http://pitstopusa.com/p-4121-bert-transmission-technical-guidelines.html

Chris Steele
03-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Here's some more info. It says to use the Automatic Transmission fluid but some rebuilders recommend straight 30 weight motor oil instead.

...but don't switch to 30W motor oil if it has had auto trans fluid already ran in it and vice versa, don't switch to ATF if motor oil has been ran in it. Have not experienced this myself, but hear the clutches won't last long if you do.

racin6mod
03-12-2013, 07:43 PM
I rebuild and modify berts at my shop I see both engine oil and type f trany fluid. I can't say ther is a huge difference in trany's wear. I personally run synthetic dex 3 it lubes the gears as well as cools and cleans the clutch pack. we talkd about this a little more in the powertrain page check that post out for a better answer.