PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailer ?'s

RACR_73s
03-11-2013, 05:28 AM
Never had an enclosed trailer before and have a few ?'s. Just put rampovers in my enclosed trailer...do they need bolted down? If so, do they need to bolt to the trailer frame or just through the floor? How do you mount stuff (racks/shelves ect.) to the walls...do you take the srews out that are already there and use them (finished interior)? Do you go all the way through to the outside with bolts? What is the best way to run air lines to the back of the trailer...will plastic work? ~Thanks~

cjsracing
03-11-2013, 09:24 AM
my ramp overs are not bolted down

merc123
03-11-2013, 02:58 PM
My ramps are tack welded to the fender wells. I don't know if it has to be bolted/welded.

I bought mine used to everything was already attached to the walls. I know they are all screwed.

One thing I replaced was my hose reel that was in the back. I drilled through the metal stud that was in the wall and tapped and just used two bolts to hold the hose reel.

My trailer has PVC running from the compressor in the front to the back. There is quite a debate on using PVC though as it supposedly has a tendency to shatter. With 120 PSI behind it someone could get hurt or blinded. If you do it, I would recommend using something like black pipe to plumb the air lines as it would only be about $30 to do. Just put a water filter/separator on your line and you shouldn't get any water in it to make it rust plus if you accidentally hit it there is less a chance of damaging or bursting the PVC.

Hooked Up
03-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Mine are bolted to the frame because my car straps to the ramp overs not the trailer floor.
The tire rack,cabinets and anything heavy I mount to the metal studs or runners in the walls

grt74
03-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Make your air lines out of sch 40 pipe and there should be no problems,but use the cleaner and glue for plumbing,that holds up to 400psi (or atleast thats what it said on the side of the pipe)weve used it for years with no problems,as far as the ramps go i would make sure everything is bolted or welded on the ramps, theres nothing like a car on your head and ive seen it many times up and down the highway where something ends up on the cab of the truck,so take the time and be safe it will be worth it in the end,jmo

Chris Steele
03-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Our ramp-overs are bolted to the floor also. We closed in the sides of the rampovers with aluminum about twice the thickness of body panels and put 7-ply 3/8" plywood on top and hinged it where it opens up after you take the car out...TONS of storage space under there! The ramp-overs are 24" wide so we was able to split 4X8 sheets of plywood and saved some money. Just remember NOT to put anything under the rampovers that you might need on the way to or from the race track....like jack or lugwrench to change a flat tire on trailer

cjsracing
03-12-2013, 08:57 AM
I should have mentioned mine are made out of 4x4's and plywood so I can remove them when they aren't needed (which is why I don't bolt them down) and my car straps directly to the trailer floor

RACR_73s
03-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. I plan on straping the car down the main tie downs in the floor(with 4 straps) of the trailer as well as at least one tire on the ramps just to help keep the car from rolling so I guess I will bolt it down somehow. When you put shelves/racks what bolts or screw do you use? I have a finished interior...are the screws that they use good enough to use or do I need to get behind the wall somehow and use nuts/bolts? ~Thanks~

dualdj1
03-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Hey Scott, rampover bolts will just be for locating them as opposed to holding load, so you don't need to bolt to anything "solid", can just drill some holes through the floor and slap a couple bolts in. really only need a couple front and a couple back just so they won't go anywhere.

for the hanging stuff, it really depends on what you're putting on it weight wise. I'd bolt if it's anything heavy. when we put up tire racks, we bolted clear through to the outside. If you do that, you just have to make sure to seal the holes. dunno if that's the "right" way or not, but it works. you do want to go through the studs though, or if you don't put some sort of load spreader on the outside (big washers, a plate, etc).