PDA

View Full Version : Msd ?????

twisterf5
03-16-2013, 09:21 PM
what would it do if the wire from the dis to box were crossed read something about it here before but can't find it. could it damage the engine

9WRACER
03-16-2013, 11:05 PM
see missing above 3000 in the crate late model racing tech, it won't let me copy it for some reason.

hucktyson
03-17-2013, 07:07 AM
If its a regular analog box check your timing and then plug the box in backwards on purpose, and check timing again . Which ever arrangement results in lower timing is te correct polarity. Reverse polarity causes spark skatter and broken pistons, it's critical that this be checked everytime you install an engine

twisterf5
03-17-2013, 10:06 AM
If its a regular analog box check your timing and then plug the box in backwards on purpose, and check timing again . Which ever arrangement results in lower timing is te correct polarity. Reverse polarity causes spark skatter and broken pistons, it's critical that this be checked everytime you install an engine
our box is green / purple wires our dis is a engine works made by MSD because i am a dealer of nickels we went with engine works it is wired black with purple tracer and black with orange tracer plugs fit together but purple does not match with purple tracer wire. don't know if it is the box or dis wrong but to the short of things this engine has broke twice taking out 3/4 rod journal put new crank and rods bearings. took it out last night and dropped oil pressure so shut it down pulled it apart bottom end is fine but burnt the side of #5 piston it only took 3 laps. do you think this has been the problem with the bottom end. normally i run a MSD HEI with no problems (( plugs will not plug in but one way )) thank for any input.

dylchris
03-17-2013, 04:15 PM
I do not know about what you are describing but reverse polarity will cause detonation, It can cause your timing to jump 16 degrees either way depending on how it is wired.

racinjj
03-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Purple from the MSD box does NOT go to purple on the MSD distributor. I found that out the hard way with my engine this year. It will cause your timing to be advanced an extra 20degrees or so and you will melt it down. My engine builder told me it should have sounded rough and been down on power but since it was my first time with a full mod motor I couldnt tell the power was down and it didnt run rough or break up.

jedclampit
03-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Should be stamped on the MSD box and dizzy!

Has killed way too many motors.

LateModel B23
03-18-2013, 03:12 PM
I ran into a situation a few years back where someone had extended the wires out of the box by just splicing in some wire and not using a plug-in extender and had the wires crossed.

Also do not run your wires parrallel to the coil wire.

JustAddDirt
03-18-2013, 04:02 PM
our box is green / purple wires our dis is a engine works made by MSD because i am a dealer of nickels we went with engine works it is wired black with purple tracer and black with orange tracer plugs fit together but purple does not match with purple tracer wire. don't know if it is the box or dis wrong but to the short of things this engine has broke twice taking out 3/4 rod journal put new crank and rods bearings. took it out last night and dropped oil pressure so shut it down pulled it apart bottom end is fine but burnt the side of #5 piston it only took 3 laps. do you think this has been the problem with the bottom end. normally i run a MSD HEI with no problems (( plugs will not plug in but one way )) thank for any input.

The wiring you described sounds right. Purple DOES NOT Go to purple tracer. why I have no idea, but MSD does i guess.
Souds like your timing may be advancing too far, and detonating. Might also check Fuel system for lean condition on the piston proble, but detonation will also cause that as well.
Is your dist timing advance locked, or are you still using the advance weight system?
Alky or gas?
What total timing are you running at?

twisterf5
03-18-2013, 05:00 PM
The wiring you described sounds right. Purple DOES NOT Go to purple tracer. why I have no idea, but MSD does i guess.
Souds like your timing may be advancing too far, and detonating. Might also check Fuel system for lean condition on the piston proble, but detonation will also cause that as well.
Is your dist timing advance locked, or are you still using the advance weight system?
Alky or gas?
What total timing are you running at?our msd is ok the machine shop we used did not use a torque plate and the cylinders are pulling in on the top busted rings/ killed piston on top of them putting to much of a rig on top that a 4.200 gasket will not seal and the carbon that was not cleaned out of the main rail that was killing 3/4 rods. bad thing is they did two blocks and the second one is no count now. over 3 grand spent chasing there mistakes. but got a hold of there big boss and they are going to make it right and pay us back .lesson learned not to use a shop just because they are closer. any ways we are locked at 34

JustAddDirt
03-19-2013, 09:27 AM
ouch, not good at all. at least you will be compensated for it.