PDA

View Full Version : Spring technology

Hagen14t
03-17-2013, 10:52 PM
Hey guys, just have a general question and looking to gain more knowledge on the subject. Why are current 4 bar spring behind cars with a chevelle clip running lighter springs on the right front than the left front? I have tried on a couple different occasions and cant get it to work at all. I am just confused cause it seems like every other car has this except mine. Any ideas?

Canon47
03-18-2013, 12:35 PM
What spring rates you running up front? If you go soft RF make sure you do it based on travel. If you are not bottomed out or near bottomed out they dont work. You can send me a PM if you want some direction in specifics. What brand of chassis are you running.

xxxmod
03-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Hey guys, just have a general question and looking to gain more knowledge on the subject. Why are current 4 bar spring behind cars with a chevelle clip running lighter springs on the right front than the left front? I have tried on a couple different occasions and cant get it to work at all. I am just confused cause it seems like every other car has this except mine. Any ideas?

left side wieght
j bar rake
engine location
aluminum heads
All of these make a big difference in how much right front spring you need
I have a chevelle front and drag the frame some with a 650 RF...and yea the car is fast

Hagen14t
03-18-2013, 10:23 PM
I have a 650 in the LF and a 750 in the RF. The RF shock is about 1 inch from bottoming out. I just don't get how some of these guys are running 450s and 500s up there and I have to run way stiffer.

Canon47
03-19-2013, 08:45 AM
I sent you a PM.

JustAddDirt
03-19-2013, 09:20 AM
I have a 650 in the LF and a 750 in the RF. The RF shock is about 1 inch from bottoming out. I just don't get how some of these guys are running 450s and 500s up there and I have to run way stiffer.

Also shock packages will have an big effect on springrate.

oldtrackchamp4x
03-19-2013, 02:25 PM
To many variables, with most listed by those that have already responded. Just thought i'd add one more. Driving style. But that is JMO.

johnny v
03-19-2013, 03:29 PM
To many variables, with most listed by those that have already responded. Just thought i'd add one more. Driving style. But that is JMO.

ditto on the above....

junebug
03-22-2013, 02:12 AM
Front roll center is prolly the biggest variable...what are other ppl with you chassis running that's prolly close to where u need to be...roll centers too easily manipulated and has too big effect...some guys can run 300 RF some can't below 550 or so

midwestmodracer
03-25-2013, 05:03 PM
engine location is the biggest factor, both laterally and vertically. a car with the engine at center of cross member will almost always need more RF spring than a car with engine max allowable distance to the left.

drtrkr244
03-25-2013, 08:41 PM

What problem are you having running a softer RF?

Those Chevelle clips have a real low motion ratio. You could easily soften RF another 50 lbs with no problem, maybe more. Just keep an eye on tie rod hitting the frame.

One inch is a long way from bottoming out with todays setups.