PDA

View Full Version : Chassis design?

Pete
03-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Anyone know much lead or trail is built in the rear suspension mounts by chassis builders (Mastersbilt, Rocket, Barry Wright an etc.)?

ALF401
03-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Anyone know much lead or trail is built in the rear suspension mounts by chassis builders (Mastersbilt, Rocket, Barry Wright an etc.)?

I asked about how to square a rear end and got a ton of different ideas! apparently dlm are all over the board on this! From 1/2" to over an 1" on some cars. Let's hear from you guys how much your car has and how you determine the trail setting on the right rear.

As a side note, I have found that car builders will tell you it's square by just setting the rods to the required lengths. It turns out that they aren't really square! it's just where they want you to start.

grt74
03-21-2013, 08:39 PM
there all a little different,but if you call them they should be able to tell you where to start from,they all have a spot that is straight (or what guys will call square)to measure from
plum bob is your best friend on this and a tape is his cousin

let-r-eat
03-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Square the rear end to what? I think those positions will be more focused upon the bar lengths desired and then position the mounting points.If I were building a chassis I would look at the direction the contact patches were traveling and after bar lengths were determined, then position the mounting points. Short bars that react quicker? Long bars that react slower but with more leverage available? Lots of variables involved.

SLM98
03-23-2013, 07:39 AM
My mastersbilts have been trailed about 5/8". The last one I got I had them build it with the LR mounts back that amount and with the rear square with the front the bar lenths are the same

lovinlatemodels
03-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Swartz chassis have a place on the 4 bar mount to measure from to square up the rear How much trail built in is I think a 1/2 inch but all builders are different.