PDA

View Full Version : Birdcages..

Mod66x
03-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Besides weight; What is the advantage of alum over steel?
Also who builds birdcages for the 2011-up rayburns? Or what chassis is the closet to them. Need a new birdcage (4bar)got some steel ones I can use if I have to, but looking to go back to alum. .Going to buy a new pair just can't find any online that are specfic to a rayburn....Thanks in advance.

Matt49
03-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Also who builds birdcages for the 2011-up rayburns? Or what chassis is the closet to them. Need a new birdcage (4bar)got some steel ones I can use if I have to, but looking to go back to alum. .Going to buy a new pair just can't find any online that are specfic to a rayburn....Thanks in advance.

If you're going from steel sleeved to aluminum bearing then the benefit is more forward bite. The bearing birdcages are always free and allow the 4-bar to do its thing.
The weight saving with aluminum in general is good because you are cutting down on un-sprung weight which in theory is going to let your contact patches work better...again, better overall traction.

jason29a
03-29-2013, 10:12 AM

This is a quote from a machinery handbook....

The modulus of elasticity of aluminium (whatever grade) is only about 1/3 that of steel. So the deflection of an aluminium structure will be 3x that of a similar steel structure. If deflection is important you will need 3x more `second moment of area` (approx 3x more weight) of aluminium in order to achieve the same deflection as the steel structure. Aluminium is also 1/3 the weight of steel so both structures would now weigh the same.

So with the extra thickness of the aluminum birdcages and the extra weight of the bolts... I really doubt there is a weight savings... Probably actually heavier. Theres some very nice steel ones being made now.

Matt49
03-29-2013, 11:32 AM
This is a quote from a machinery handbook....

The modulus of elasticity of aluminium (whatever grade) is only about 1/3 that of steel. So the deflection of an aluminium structure will be 3x that of a similar steel structure. If deflection is important you will need 3x more `second moment of area` (approx 3x more weight) of aluminium in order to achieve the same deflection as the steel structure. Aluminium is also 1/3 the weight of steel so both structures would now weigh the same.

So with the extra thickness of the aluminum birdcages and the extra weight of the bolts... I really doubt there is a weight savings... Probably actually heavier. Theres some very nice steel ones being made now.

You're right, Jason. They aren't much lighter if at all.
One thing I value quite a bit is the modularity of a bolt-together birdcage. If you tear up a part of it, you're not out the entire birdcage. I supposed bolt-togethers can be found in a variety of materials.
The grade of aluminum used is also important. Aluminum comes in many different flavors and not all builders are using the best stuff.
I personally really like TWM's stuff and I have heard nothing but good things about Wehr's also.
As with most things, you get what you pay for.

TALON75
03-30-2013, 02:20 AM
My experince has been that the aluminum bearing cages are stronger and can bend an ear without deforming the main body, which has happened with some steel one I have had . I also like TWM, I prefer them over the BSB's that came on our new car. Wehrs looks like a good product too and I have a brake floater from them that is a good piece . I would be willing to sell my BSB's if they would work for you(only 10 races old and no damage), I doubt there is much difference in a Rocket 4bar birdcage and a Rayburn .

jason29a
03-30-2013, 10:34 AM
My experince has been that the aluminum bearing cages are stronger and can bend an ear without deforming the main body, which has happened with some steel one I have had . I also like TWM, I prefer them over the BSB's that came on our new car. Wehrs looks like a good product too and I have a brake floater from them that is a good piece . I would be willing to sell my BSB's if they would work for you(only 10 races old and no damage), I doubt there is much difference in a Rocket 4bar birdcage and a Rayburn .

I maybe interested in them.... send me some info to race229@yahoo.com

let-r-eat
03-30-2013, 06:42 PM
TWM is a nice piece.

racin6mod
04-03-2013, 09:23 PM

CJ Rayburn is a true car builder they make a lot of the parts in house so most of the time you can call and they'll send what ever you need.

jsw444
04-06-2013, 12:25 AM
try rusty schlenk racing....he can help u out im sure.......