PDA

View Full Version : stringing the rearend to the engine

motorsports12
03-25-2013, 06:41 PM
what is everyones opinions on stringing the rearend to the engine - how do you do it - what are you trying to make sure is in line - where are you taking measurements - how important is it - and what will it affect if they are not the desired results

motorsports12
03-26-2013, 08:48 PM
maybe i need to clarify - all i am asking is making sure the rearend and engine are in line with each other - i guess why i am asking is if the rearend moves so much during acceleration and deceleration on a 4 bar car and the drive shaft has the universals to be able to compensate - how important is it to make sure they are perfectly in line with one another

SRXSRULE
03-26-2013, 09:06 PM
maybe i need to clarify - all i am asking is making sure the rearend and engine are in line with each other - i guess why i am asking is if the rearend moves so much during acceleration and deceleration on a 4 bar car and the drive shaft has the universals to be able to compensate - how important is it to make sure they are perfectly in line with one another

Its not that important at all. If there not at a point where they are going to get into a bind your fine. A u-joint actually perfers to be slightly out of alignment due to the way the are designed. A little known fact about u-joints is that they require about 1 degree of operating angle to get the needle bearings rotating. If they do not rotate they will fail. Eric

Egoracing
03-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Most chassis builders do not put the engine in any in inline with the rearend. They are typically turned and off centered.

dirty white boy
03-26-2013, 09:46 PM
some ome manufacturers didnt line them up ether,...mopar motor one inch to right in the car with yoke centerd the car....chevy got there 3 degrees with drive line pitch....

so how far oft is your rear coming out too???

motorsports12
03-28-2013, 08:35 PM
the new car i have they are actually pretty close to inline compared to the right side frame rail - the car i just sold i was breaking powerglides (actually cracking cases) and i was told it was because the rearend and motor were not inline with each other

i think you all have answered my question - thank you for your input - what you all have told me is exactly what i was thinking

balljoint
04-30-2013, 02:27 AM
Most chassis builders do not put the engine in any in inline with the rearend. They are typically turned and off centered.

Why is that? One would think it would be more critical in high travel setups.

Even with a driveshaft inline there would still be plenty of angle.

When does it start taking away HP?