PDA

View Full Version : Springs

MEB4U
03-28-2013, 09:26 PM
I`ve been out of a modified (UMP) for a couple of years so maybe someone can shed a little light on this....I noticed on most of the pictures from Florida that the cars were really laying over on the RF. Is that something that has changed with the spring rates, or within the setups, or is that just the characteristic of the tracks??

junebug
03-29-2013, 04:56 AM
That's something 75-80% of guys nowdays are doing...its mostly done with soft RF spring and heavy RF rebound...i like my car rolled up on RF its too tight if RF is not down

MEB4U
03-29-2013, 07:23 AM
I used to always keep the RF up and sometimes run a little extra air in RF tire to keep it from rolling over. Thought process was to keep the drive in the LR. It`s around a `05 Bandit so I`m real familiar with the chassis just wondering what I`ve missed over last couple of years...Thanks

junebug
04-01-2013, 12:29 AM
We used to do the same thing but we've learned that keeping the car on the RF keeps bar angle in the lr which creates more drive then keeping car on lr spring ever could....plus keeping car on rf keeps weight on the frt tires and makes car steer better

MEB4U
04-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Makes sense, I thought that I`d heard that Rocket was doing this several years ago. So, what kind of split would you recommend starting out on the front?? Gonna have to research this and do some talking and asking in order to figure out what a good starting point would be....Thanks in advance for an help you guys can give. Are you softening just the RF or LF also??

junebug
04-02-2013, 01:00 AM
If it was my car I would stiffen lf however much u soften RF...this keeps ur front roll couple the same and isn't such a huge drastic change to the way the car rolls front to rear....if u soften both it'll dive hard on entry and won't be good....idk what u have now but if u have a chevelle frame car id say 650-700 LF 550-500 RF is a great starting place...but all this is based on front toll center location...post what kinda chassis u have and I can help u more

MEB4U
04-02-2013, 05:48 AM
Bandit with a rear steer clip. Thunderbird, torino type clip

junebug
04-02-2013, 07:35 AM
My car is ford clip also...id try 700 500 to start...dont be scared to go softer in rf

MEB4U
04-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Cool thanks, I`ve not raced in 2-2 1/2 years, the car got ran 4-5 times last year. I`m gonna go with a basic setup Friday night and see what happens. We set it up to what I used to run, and really couldn't be happier with the numbers we got. If I can remember which pedal works what and what that round thing does that you hold on to then we will start leaning to the newer stuff. Thanks for your input junebug

JustAddDirt
04-02-2013, 03:48 PM
It is not just as simple as changing springs, and letting her rip. shock packages have changed a lot in the last year or two that makes the cars drive like this.
You will need to have shocks tuned to car set up to do this correctly.
you might want to call Bryan @ Bandit and see what he reccomends

junebug
04-03-2013, 01:05 AM
Definitely agree!!!! U have to have the whole package or things will never work correctly.

MEB4U
04-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Yeah I need to go see Bryan, I just wanted to get some thoughts, info ,and ideas on this stuff. The car is 5-6 years old and not been treated the best in the world, so I was kinda wondering about new tech on an older car. Right now ive got a setup with shocks and springs like I used to run. Looking like its gonna be at least another week before we get to the track. Thanks for your alls input.

bob75
04-06-2013, 07:26 AM
hmmm, do you think somebody is running a lock down shock on the right front, maybe,hmmmm

junebug
04-10-2013, 03:11 AM
I'm running a ton of RF rebound in my car...how much are all u guys using

jurgens22
04-11-2013, 11:51 AM
I've got a 4-9 integra for some tighter corner tracks and then a 4-12 for some of the more sweeping tracks we run. Keep in mind when changing your front springs that the RF will affect corner entry and exit while a LF spring change will typically just be noticeable on corner entry. I haven't dealt much with ford stubs but on our chevelle stub im usually around a 550 in the RF and a 600 in the LF. We have tracks with quite a bit of clay around here but if you have tracks that are pretty sandy and girtty you may be as low as 450 or so in the RF, but thats just what i've experienced.

powerslide
04-12-2013, 09:52 AM
I've got a 4-9 integra for some tighter corner tracks and then a 4-12 for some of the more sweeping tracks we run. Keep in mind when changing your front springs that the RF will affect corner entry and exit while a LF spring change will typically just be noticeable on corner entry. I haven't dealt much with ford stubs but on our chevelle stub im usually around a 550 in the RF and a 600 in the LF. We have tracks with quite a bit of clay around here but if you have tracks that are pretty sandy and girtty you may be as low as 450 or so in the RF, but thats just what i've experienced.

what tires are you on?

jurgens22
04-12-2013, 04:14 PM
I'm just on the Hoosier G60 majority of the time.

junebug
04-15-2013, 07:07 AM
I'm just on the Hoosier G60 majority of the time.

im on the a40 Hoosiers I thk that's why my car likes to be so much softer then the numbers u gave and why i like so much more rebound....i told him 500 for a starting place but im quite a bit softer then that most of the time