PDA

View Full Version : motor?

dirtdodger
04-01-2013, 01:37 PM
i got a 400 2 bolt block with a set of 18* pistons for free. good block and pistons never built a motor been workin on cars for years but the team always had them built for them. so what i am looking for is a strong yet reliable build combination to put in this, either using the 18* pistons or others. some guys run 15* to 18*heads where i am gonna run, mainly florence, lawrenceburg, maybe eldora here and there as i can afford it. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

JustAddDirt
04-01-2013, 02:12 PM
You will have to have the block machined for splayed mains. So by that time you will have about 1/2 the price of a good SHP block. Get the good block, and never have to worry about it.

It would vernture to say it will not hold up long to the power that would be produced by a 15-18 degree motor. Especially if you have to run it hard like you do at 2 of the 3 places you have mentioned.
Sell the block and get what you can out of it, and get a SHP that will hold the power, and are liter than the Dart little m, or the iron eagle.
Heck I might b interested in it if it is a good block for a project I am working on.

racin6mod
04-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Check the Compression height of the pistons to see what crank and rod combos you can run. with a stock block you can get by with short strokes 3 1/4 or 3 1/2 they're just easier on the lower end. use splayed caps as listed above along with hard block filler up to the drain plugs on the side of the block. you'll also need offset lifters on the intake side .180 offset. also you can run 18 degree pistons with 23 degree heads if your budget forces that.

I helped a small team that ran a short 3 1/4 stroke with a 509 block for a couple seasons twice on the springfield mile with no problems until they stroked it to a 393 cu in and it blew after 3 nights but that was a rod related problem.