PDA

View Full Version : Brake Question

dirttrackrocker
04-02-2013, 10:58 AM
I am having trouble getting a good pedal. I bled the lines and made sure there are no leaks. The pedal pumps up hard with about 2 pumps, but, when you let off and go back to it, it goes to the floor unless you pump it up. When I crank the bias all the way to the front, it has a hard pedal, when I go all the way to rear I have no pedal until I pump it. It's possible that my rear line is slightly above the master cylinder at the back, so I put one of those residual valves on it that doesn't allow it to bleed back. That didn't cure it. Also, with the master cylinder cover off, when you pump it up and let off, the rear master shoots fluid about a half inch above the fluid level like a fountain. Does this sound like a bad master cylinder?

xxxmod
04-02-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm thinking either you caliper mounts are crooked or bent or you may have to
take the caliper loose when you bleed it so the bleeder is straight up.

dirttrackrocker
04-02-2013, 12:13 PM
The RR is mounted so the bleeder is straight up. The LR is on a floater and the caliper is at about 5 oclock. could that be the problem??
I'm doubting the crooked mounts because this is all happening while on jack stands and the wheels aren't being turned so the rotor isn't turning and forcing the piston back into the caliper.

crateracer16
04-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Bad master cylinder

JustAddDirt
04-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Do you have spacers between the pad and the caliper. thin rear rotors will need a brake pad spacer to keep piston back in the caliper the same as the front.
it is about a 1/4" spacer.
Check your rear master cylinder as well, but it sounds like when you do the first pump it moves the rear pistons out to touch pad, then 2nd push gets good petal cause piston is right against pad.
Performace bodies have a nice aluminum piece that is light and works nice. Make sure you grind any nubs off the brake pad face so it all lines up properly.