PDA

View Full Version : Crazy idea

Matt49
04-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Why I want to do this is somewhat irrelevant. Bu I'm thinking of using an infrared style pyrometer to monitor tire temps from inside the race car.
I have an old one with busted LCD around here somewhere but I can't find it.
I'm wondering how difficult it would be to physically separate the infrared sensor from the trigger mechanism and the LDC display so that the sensor could be mounted above a tire while the trigger and display could be placed inside the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit.
Has anybody had one of these apart to see how they are wired up and if so, how easy would it be to do what I'm talking about. I'm afraid that if everything is soldered hard to a board (no wires) that it will be difficult to do without destroying it.

fastford
04-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Why I want to do this is somewhat irrelevant. Bu I'm thinking of using an infrared style pyrometer to monitor tire temps from inside the race car.
I have an old one with busted LCD around here somewhere but I can't find it.
I'm wondering how difficult it would be to physically separate the infrared sensor from the trigger mechanism and the LDC display so that the sensor could be mounted above a tire while the trigger and display could be placed inside the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit.
Has anybody had one of these apart to see how they are wired up and if so, how easy would it be to do what I'm talking about. I'm afraid that if everything is soldered hard to a board (no wires) that it will be difficult to do without destroying it.

i like your thinking on this, but wouldnt you have to have 3 sensors per tire, to check outside, middle and inside, that would be 12 sensors all way around, however i hardly check rear any more, but it would be nice on right front, you could make some hot laps, stop quickly and instantly check tire, that would have to be more accurate than waiting on some one to check. thanks for posting something on here to actually get someone thinking outside the box

Matt49
04-03-2013, 10:44 AM
I am initially only interested in RR and only really care about the center. I'll assume for now that I'm good on tire pressure. I'm trying to identify the optimum operating temperature of the tire. I also want to be able to monitor the tire under caution to make sure I'm not letting it cool too much. I had a recent experience that could have been avoided if I was armed with this data while sitting in the seat.
I can also see where this would be useful in proactively identifying when you are abusing your tires (too throttle happy) before it is too late.

merc123
04-03-2013, 12:18 PM
I've never taken one apart but it is simply wiring. The trigger is the on/off button. Basically what you'll probably need to do is attach the infrared sensor somewhere where it won't get mud on it and "shoots" at the tire. Extend the wires that go to it to a switch in the c*ockpit (or put it on your on/off switch). Once you open it you'll see what I'm taking about.

Should be pretty simple. The fun will be extending the wires because I'm sure they probably use tiny wires and I have fat fingers. I don't do well with the delicate work.

Related to what you're looking for also:

http://www.techmor.com/

http://www.techmor.com/tire-temperature-stick-ts-1/

fastford
04-03-2013, 01:29 PM
I am initially only interested in RR and only really care about the center. I'll assume for now that I'm good on tire pressure. I'm trying to identify the optimum operating temperature of the tire. I also want to be able to monitor the tire under caution to make sure I'm not letting it cool too much. I had a recent experience that could have been avoided if I was armed with this data while sitting in the seat.
I can also see where this would be useful in proactively identifying when you are abusing your tires (too throttle happy) before it is too late.

let me know what you come up with, im only interested in rt front and would need 3 sensors , i think this could help with these soft right front set ups were running to gain knowledge on camber settings and so forth

Matt49
04-03-2013, 07:49 PM
let me know what you come up with, im only interested in rt front and would need 3 sensors , i think this could help with these soft right front set ups were running to gain knowledge on camber settings and so forth

Will do. Personally, I use edge wear to judge camber and camber gain. But that's a WHOLE different bag of bats.

RRR_Products
02-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Interesting yet older post. How did this go? Any results? Thanks!

Matt49
02-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Still on my list of projects to mess with in my "free time"

Brian Gray
02-02-2014, 10:11 AM
we did this a few years back on a pavement car . it does work somewhat the temps do bounce around a lot and we later determined it wasnt worth the hassle and just got rid of it. i know somewhere there is a company that has a high end unit that the cup teams use in testing but cost is way up there even to rent it. besides with all the dirt flying around under the car your readings would have to jump around.

keep in mind surface temp can change quick if you slip the tire even a little thats why using a probe is always the best way to determine patch temp.

dont let that discourage you but i think a stronger sensor might have helped.