PDA

View Full Version : Dummy shock pull bar

jsf74
04-10-2013, 10:47 PM
I would like to try a dummy shock in place of my 9010 on my pullbar to free up my entry. Can I just take a old shock and drill a small hole to release the oil for a 0 comp 0 rebound.I Don't want to waste money i dont need to but like the idea of a shock up there in case my pull bar brakes. Any ideas?

washeduptoo
04-11-2013, 05:08 AM
Yes you can and we put duct tape over hole to keep stuff out. Best of luck.

calif54
04-11-2013, 11:21 AM
If you drill a hole and remove the oil, what will continue to lubricate the piston and seal as it moves in and out under racing conditions~ doesn't sound like a good idea to me. If you are interested in using the dummy shock as a saftey measure in case the pull bar breaks, just use a strap in its place. Much lighter and no potential issues. JMO

jurgens22
04-11-2013, 11:31 AM
I would imagine the shock would get extremely hot as well w/o any oil or gas in the shock. If you want to work your way towards that try running a 40/10 up there instead of a 90/10. We have actually ran our car w/o a damper shock or strap at all and have had no problems...knock on wood!!

jsf74
05-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Just a quick update. I made my own dummy pull bar shock and it made a HUGE difference in freeing up my entry! I actually had to take some of the crutches out of the car to tighten it back up. I always see "tight on entry" posts and hope this helps someone else. Thanks 4m.

racin6mod
05-05-2013, 09:55 PM
I have an air shock on ebay that was on a shaw lm we had back in the early to mid 90's seemed to work so I kept it around it was on a 5th arm but should work the same.