PDA

View Full Version : impala spindle question

Wsharp26
04-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Ok im changing my metric to impala spindles here is my question. I know where i want to be as far as upper arm angle and i can get there but i have to raise the ride height up. What kind of ride height in the front are you guys using? I did run around 8.5 but now it seems i am going to jave to raise it to have the same clearance between the frame and lower arm as the spindle shaft placement is diffrent now. .......thanks in advance!

Racer96m
04-15-2013, 05:53 PM
What is your measurement from the center of the forward A arm bolt head to the ground at ride height?

Dave.

Wsharp26
04-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Its 19 3/4 that gives me 8 1/4 at lf corner of frame....my upper mounts are corrected though

Racer96m
04-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Im sorry, what is the measurement from the center of the forward LOWER A arm bolt (on the cross member) to the ground at ride height?

Dave

Wsharp26
04-18-2013, 08:58 PM
No problem dave.....im at 9" now. After looking it over again the angle isnt that bad
Looks like my ball joint on the right upper may bind on compression though. Do you use the camaro drag link to correct bump steer?

Racer96m
04-19-2013, 01:12 PM
9in is getting up there. I was 8in. I used a metric centerlink. The balljoint angle is always a problem. I jigged my own upper arms that kept the balljoint flat and level at ride height. I would suggest you shim your balljoint level, keeps them from bending under normal racing conditions. Are you running tall balljoints? I ran stock length balljoints with the tall spindle, otherwise you want the tall balljoints with the stock metric spindle. Both will get you there but the big spindle is way stronger and the stock length balljoints dont bend unless someone drills you into a wall or something.

Dave

Wsharp26
04-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the advice dave. I am using screw in ball joints now looks like i will have binds. Im going to bolt in arms looks like or cut mine loose at ball end and turn them down some. Either way i think the geometry change will be great. Just concerned about too much bump steer. Thanks again!

ss74
04-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Don't concern yourself greatly with a particular ride height. Focus on getting you LF lower arm level. When you get that where you want then get you RF 1/2" higher, and then set your rear heights to your desire.

Wsharp26
04-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Ok thanks alot guys.....all the input has been helpful