PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pressure Regulator

3nracing97
04-15-2013, 08:39 PM
I run a KSE tandem pump and I was having problems with the motor stumbling on initial throttle. Found out that the pump was delivering too much fuel(just switched to gas). I am putting a regulator on the return line to regulate pressure but I am not sure which regulator I should use. The couple I have tried still allow too much pressure on initial throttle. I know this is a popular setup so does anyone have a part number of a regulator that will work?
Thanks for any help!

powerslide
04-16-2013, 02:56 PM
You want one with a jet in it to allow bypass at idle. I called KB(my carb builder) and he said he likes pretty steady pressure on gas stuff. 6-7pds if i remember right.

TALON75
04-16-2013, 07:11 PM
from KSE's website-

The fuel by-pass system utilizes a spring, poppet, and pill orifice design for regulating fuel pressure.
The spring and poppet control idle pressure. The idle pressure should be 2 – 4 psi. Maximum high
speed pressure is controlled by the pill orifice. The pump has a .160 pill orifice installed from the
factory. This pill orifice is designed to get most alcohol applications in an 8 – 10 psi max pressure
setpoint. A .140 & .180 pill orifice is additionally supplied with the pump. IMPORTANT: Maximum
pressure (flow) must be checked with the engine under load. Free revving the engine will not give true
maximum fuel pressure for correct tuning. To raise max fuel pressure – decrease pill orifice size. To
lower max fuel pressure – increase pill orifice size. Adjusting the pill sizing by .020, equates to an
approximate pressure adjustment of 1-2 psi respectively. Gasoline applications require less fuel and
typically require a .220 pill orifice size for initial tuning. A maximum fuel pressure test is important for
engine performance and at max power, fuel pressure (flow) should be steady. The following are typical
engine fuel pressure requirements dependent upon fuel type - Alcohol: 8-10 psi & Gasoline: 6-9 psi.
PERFORMANCE TIP: To minimize carburetor flooding (resulting in engine stumble) and improve
throttle response in a deceleration / “out-of-throttle” condition, set carburetor flow levels at max fuel
pressure (flow) – not at idle pressure. This will put the float levels at a normally lower level and will
allow them to react to any fuel pressure spikes.

http://www.kse-racing.com/TechInfo.html

3nracing97
04-17-2013, 12:31 PM
We tried doing ti the way KSE said but still had the problem. Found someone local that had the setup and has me going in the right direction, I hope.