PDA

View Full Version : How did this happen?

merc123
04-17-2013, 09:20 AM
First time out with an '02 GRT underrail. Was fine in hot laps. Went out for feature and while sawing the wheel back and forth to clean tires the LR shock pulled the threads out of the bottom rod end. It has a chain on it so the shock couldn't bottom out. How did it strip it out?

FlatTire
04-17-2013, 11:40 AM
My guess is you either didn't have enough thread enagement in the rod end or the jam nut backed off, deformed the threads from reverse loading and pulled apart.

powerslide
04-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Did you try compressing the RR 2-3inches past ride height while the LR was fully extended to confirm the chain was still stopping the drop? If so like the previous person said not enough threads

merc123
04-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Figured it out. Pro shock with AFCO rod ends....

JJ128
04-18-2013, 07:58 AM
I thought Afco and Pro big body shocks had the same thread on the shaft. (9/16"-18) I have an Afco 2" extension on a Pro shock and haven't had any trouble yet, but I would like to know if this really is an issue.

merc123
04-18-2013, 09:02 AM
Years ago I bought some shock extensions for my Pro shocks for an old car. They wouldn't fit. They were too big. I just tried one on the AFCO shock and it fits nicely. I put it on the Pro and it has an ever so slight wiggle to it when you screw it down.

I tried to put the 2" extension back that pulled out on the same Pro shock and slides right in to the jam nut without engaging any threads. I put it on the AFCO shock and it engages the threads immediately and screws right down with no play in the threads.

I have a few other Pro shocks I'll give it a try on and see if they have the same results. Could just be a shaft on the shock.

merc123
04-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Did it again this weekend. We're throwing the shock away now since it was a brand new eye...