PDA

View Full Version : Tailshaft support

keeks
04-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Is anyone running a tailshaft support on their trans? I'm thinking of strapping it up to an upper chassis rail above the trans. It's sitting right now with the motor out, and it sure looks like a flimsy setup. I know it will settle out when the motor is back in, but a little support can't be a bad thing.

sj valley dave
04-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Never have ran any type of support on our Brinn..

LateModel B23
04-17-2013, 03:21 PM

Same here.

andy16
04-17-2013, 04:23 PM
if you support it rigid they say chassis flex will break the bell, never supported mine but i looked at it once it seemed a 3" axle tube clamp would fit the tailshaft of my falcon i was gonna run a single 1/8 by 1" alum strap from it up to above framerail so it woulg give it some support but could give also if it needed too. only time i ever cracked a bell was when it threw a driveshaft its not really needed

Matt49
04-17-2013, 04:27 PM
I've never supported it.

Keep in mind that the car does a considerable amount of flexing in this area. Bracing the tail shaft rigidly to the frame could very well cause the exact problem you are presumably trying to avoid: cracked bell housing.
Just food for thought.

hucktyson
04-17-2013, 04:42 PM

And this guy runs an 800+ hp all aluminum 422 sb 2.2 !!!

FlatTire
04-18-2013, 08:23 AM
I've never ran one with my Falcon and the trans/bellhousing are going on 10yrs now.

I used to run a tail support on my powerglides when I ran a modified. I built a cross bar that mounted under the tail shaft and ran two bars up from the cross bar to the back of the cylinder heads.

You want the trans to move with the engine. Any restriction that doesn't allow it to move as the engine moves will lead to trouble.

hammond motorsports
04-18-2013, 09:05 AM
I dont run one but if I did it would a clamp mount(looks like a big weight mount) around the tail housing where the seal is at and then run 2 trailing arms up to the mid plate .I has saw that setup on a car that was working on but still dont think you need it .

Plantintaters
04-18-2013, 11:13 AM
A rear mount on the trans can cause either the bellhousing or the tailshaft to break in a crash, more so than without one. I have not run one for years. A couple of weight clamps and an old trailing arm with some heims and you could let it dangle from the frame above. This will support the weight at the rear but won't be rigid. JMO

Pappy said "Asphalt's for racin and dirt's for plantintaters" So I guess I"m plantintaters

sj valley dave
04-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Thanks Huckyston for reminding me! Fine upstanding person you are... :)))*

1stturn
04-19-2013, 10:25 PM
I have run a rubber mount from local parts store, with aluminum chevy bellhousing setup, brinn trans successfully for 15 plus years. Never has cracked, I'm simply thought it needed just alittle extra help.