PDA

View Full Version : swingarm help with lightingmod

race5t
04-20-2013, 04:40 PM
2007 swing arm mod. Car was really tight getting into the corners it was on weight jacks last year but will be on coilovers mounted to the bars this year. I had to put one rear bar in the top hole and the other in the bottom hole just to get it to turn. My question is I guess what bars do what when u move them.

washeduptoo
04-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Have you given Don Adams a call yet and see what he says. He comes on here from time to time, Heavy Duty on here. Is it swing arm both sides or which side and spring rate?

race5t
04-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Car is actually 04 with some 07 updates. Yes car is swing arm both sides I have talked to donnie when I got car it is setup to his setup sheets. Lr 400 rr425. It also is on a shorty bar. Just wondering what length bars are supposed to be in it and how to adjust them

washeduptoo
04-20-2013, 05:34 PM
If the rr bar is the lowest, raise it up a couple of holes to loosen entry and lower the lr bar down a hole and see what that does for you. How much rake in short bar? Usually the lr is for drive or exit and right side for entry, not always the case though. Good luck.

HEAVY DUTY
04-20-2013, 09:58 PM
You need to use an 04 setup sheet as all the 07 cars were 4 link. An 04 car takes a 17" lr swingarm and a 17 3/16 rr swing arm with the birdcages straight up to square the rear. The rear springs are a little stiff, unless you are racing on 25 degrees or more banking. Those cars ran a pair of 350 springs across the rear, or maybe a little stiffer rr if needed. The front swingarms should be in the 3rd hole up from the bottom. The rear trail arms should be level. The panhard bar should be 2 holes above the pinion with 2 1/2 inches of rake.If the car isnt turning with the rear set up like that, you probably have an issue in the front end or with the brakes. Make sure you have the right spring rates to match the lower a arm type you are running. Make sure you wheel offsets and pinion centerline are right.

race5t
04-21-2013, 12:42 PM
I used the 04 setup with the 800 and 900 pound springs. And the banking on my track is about 20 degress. And my swing arms are 17 inches. Rear bars are 15 inches long. Only thing i don't know if its right is the rake in the short bar i will check that monday. Thanks

HEAVY DUTY
04-22-2013, 11:04 AM
I used the 04 setup with the 800 and 900 pound springs. And the banking on my track is about 20 degress. And my swing arms are 17 inches. Rear bars are 15 inches long. Only thing i don't know if its right is the rake in the short bar i will check that monday. Thanks

The rear bars are a little short. If you unhook them, and set the car down on the floor, the bird cages will set sraight up. If you have the lr swing arm at 17" and the rr swing arm at 17 3/16" then adjust your rear bars to fit with the birdcages straight up and down, the rear end should be square ( if the chassis and brackets havent been bent ). You could shorten the rear bars a little to tilt the birdcages back for more spring clearance. The rear bars should be about 16 1/2 to 16 3/4 unless something has been changed or the tail is bent down.

JustAddDirt
04-23-2013, 08:53 AM
2007 swing arm mod. Car was really tight getting into the corners it was on weight jacks last year but will be on coilovers mounted to the bars this year. I had to put one rear bar in the top hole and the other in the bottom hole just to get it to turn. My question is I guess what bars do what when u move them.

The problem may be the shock rate. Did you use the same shocks you were using before?
If so you just decreased the shock rate by 50% by moving from the rear of the birdcage to lower swing arm, just like the spring rate is reduced by 50%.
If may be transferring weight so quickly to RR it is making it extremely tight.