PDA

View Full Version : late model help

porkchop4
04-22-2013, 01:27 AM
Well I finally got a late model its a Shaw 4 bar I'm mainly wanting to know where is best to get set up info what kind of shocks and springs would be good what aee some good engine choices and engine builders it doesn't have a nose piece what kind should I get where is a good place to get wheels and tires wich sizea are the best I just need some general info to steer me in the right direction. Anything Will help Thanks

charcoal01
04-22-2013, 07:23 AM
Call the guys at Shaw, tell them what chassis number you have. I'm sure they'll be glad to help and send you a setup book.

FlatTire
04-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Usually www.poske.com has some good prices on Weld wheels. Weld makes a "high strength" wheel and a "extra light" wheel. Both are good choices. The high strength ones do weigh a
little more. If you are just starting out I would go with the high strength wheels.

You can contact Kevin at Larry Shaw and he'll tell you everything you need to know on the set up. The Shaw's are some of the best folks in the business. Just great people to be associated with.
They build a great product that is just as good as the other more common brands. I've owned two of their cars and have been very pleased.

As far as shocks go, you can go the adjustable route or non adjustable depending on the rules. Afco makes some decent non adjustable shocks that could get you going for cheap. Integra
and Ohlins set the standard for the adjustable shocks. Most people that are on Integra/Ohlins send their shocks off to a shock guru for further enhancements. I'd highly recommend doing so.
It all depends on your budget and how serious you want to get.

For motors, just build you something that is reliable and makes decent power. Starting out you don't need the biggest baddest motor they make. In fact they will just make things more difficult.

On the nose, MD3 are the most common nose pieces. I use a Dominator because I like the way the valence is not an add on piece like the MD3. Either are good pieces.

What are the rules you will be running under? Where are you racing at?

porkchop4
04-22-2013, 01:19 PM
I race at Caney Valley and we race und DIRT car rules and I don't really know about good engine builders...I live in North east Oklahoma and the best thing we have is Wesmar but I don't have the money for one... I was thinking anout getting a 604 for starting out or a spec motor...would that work good

lmracer36
04-22-2013, 01:41 PM
for racing at caney you can just get or build a good 360 motor I have ran a spec motor up to a 900 hp motor there and the small motor did much better for that track. what did you run before?

porkchop4
04-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Who builds a good a spec motor and what is a good rear gear for Caney

porkchop4
04-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Have u ever ran Outlaw

porkchop4
04-22-2013, 03:18 PM
On these late models you can't run a cast crank right...if it woupd save money I would run my factory stock motor but I don't think it can handle 4 link if ever get it working right

LateModel B23
04-23-2013, 10:27 AM
If you are talking about Outlaw Speedway just south of Muskogee, we used to make the trip there quite a bit a few years back. We always ran an open motor there.

I am getting ready to post a nice, fresh spec motor shortblock for sale if you are interested.

lmracer36
04-24-2013, 09:59 AM
As far as gearing for caney I have ran a 714 to a 676 just depends on the motor and track conditions. on the cast crank Im not sure if you can use one or not. I ran outlaw the last two weekends but wont be able to make it back for a few weeks lost of stuff going on and the mars series is at thunderbird on friday and Tri-state speedway(pacola Ok.) on saturday