PDA

View Full Version : Another newb question

racerj5
04-27-2013, 02:45 PM
I'm looking at a roller that just had the chassis repainted and put part way back together. It has all interior, decking and body, but none of it is IN the car. Everything is there that came out of the c0ckpit, but needs to be re-installed.How much of a project am I getting myself into?Would it be better to buy a more complete car, or would it be better for me to learn now?Thanks

StuckInReverse
04-30-2013, 12:38 PM
It really depends if you have someone knowledgeable helping out. If you don't have experienced help, I would suggest looking for something more complete.

racerj5
04-30-2013, 04:56 PM
It really depends if you have someone knowledgeable helping out. If you don't have experienced help, I would suggest looking for something more complete.Thanks, stuck. I decided to go with a more complete car. Turns out, It was missing ALOT more parts than he let on....including the brakes. That's a valuable piece of information to leave out, don't you think?

powerslide
05-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Thanks, stuck. I decided to go with a more complete car. Turns out, It was missing ALOT more parts than he let on....including the brakes. That's a valuable piece of information to leave out, don't you think?

yes it is, you will soon find out how these hot rods "nickel and dime" you to death.

Matt49
05-02-2013, 08:47 AM
yes it is, you will soon find out how these hot rods "nickel and dime" you to death.

And you don't break anything without spending at least $100 to fix it :-)
Late Model racing isn't for those tight with the purse strings. That is for sure.

racerj5
05-02-2013, 10:56 AM
And you don't break anything without spending at least $100 to fix it :-)Late Model racing isn't for those tight with the purse strings. That is for sure.LOL, I know Matt. Karts are the same way. 500 bucks for a set of tires and you gotta have 5-10 sets in the trailer to be competitive anymore, even on a weekly show.......to win 50 bucks. I just bought a 2002 GRT roller less motor, trans, radiator, and driveshaft for less than what I can buy a new kart chassis. A new Platinum or Phantom chassis with no motor, tires or gauges is over $3500. Then you gotta buy a national level motor that's anywhere from $1200- 2000, then a $500 rebuild every 100 laps. MyChron data recorder that's $450 and you ain't even bought multiple sets of tires yet. I'm gonna be on the track in a late model cheaper than I can buy new stuff in karts. Plus the closest kart track is 2 hours away. I can't even win enough to cover my gas and entry fee (Which is $20.00 pit pass and $20 per class on a regular show). I'm 15 minutes from Tazewell and they pay $100 haul bill if you make one lap. Don't get me started on how many classes there are in karts. The entire show is usually over at Tazewell before I've run my feature in karts, then I gotta drive 2 hours home.I know all this is sort of apples to oranges, and I'm gonna be out more $$ when I break something, but if I get lucky enough to run a few races without tearing up something, I'll be ok. If not, I'm still finally getting to live the dream, like you guys.

Matt49
05-02-2013, 03:11 PM
LOL, I know Matt. Karts are the same way. 500 bucks for a set of tires and you gotta have 5-10 sets in the trailer to be competitive anymore, even on a weekly show.......to win 50 bucks. I just bought a 2002 GRT roller less motor, trans, radiator, and driveshaft for less than what I can buy a new kart chassis. A new Platinum or Phantom chassis with no motor, tires or gauges is over $3500. Then you gotta buy a national level motor that's anywhere from $1200- 2000, then a $500 rebuild every 100 laps. MyChron data recorder that's $450 and you ain't even bought multiple sets of tires yet. I'm gonna be on the track in a late model cheaper than I can buy new stuff in karts. Plus the closest kart track is 2 hours away. I can't even win enough to cover my gas and entry fee (Which is $20.00 pit pass and $20 per class on a regular show). I'm 15 minutes from Tazewell and they pay $100 haul bill if you make one lap. Don't get me started on how many classes there are in karts. The entire show is usually over at Tazewell before I've run my feature in karts, then I gotta drive 2 hours home.I know all this is sort of apples to oranges, and I'm gonna be out more $$ when I break something, but if I get lucky enough to run a few races without tearing up something, I'll be ok. If not, I'm still finally getting to live the dream, like you guys.

Been there done that. Raced karts for 12 years. Sounds like you are aware of the POTENTIAL for massive expenses. Enjoy it and keep it all in perspective. It was always my dream to race a late model also and I still sometimes can't believe I get to do it. The $$$ adds up quick but it sure is worth it as long as you keep it fun.

racerj5
05-03-2013, 12:56 AM
Been there done that. Raced karts for 12 years. Sounds like you are aware of the POTENTIAL for massive expenses. Enjoy it and keep it all in perspective. It was always my dream to race a late model also and I still sometimes can't believe I get to do it. The $$$ adds up quick but it sure is worth it as long as you keep it fun.Been in karts since I was 9. I'll be 42 in September. I've been waiting 41 years to sit in my OWN late Model and I finally got to do it Monday night. My uncle builds alot of motors in the east TN area and he is sponsoring me by supplying my motors. The guy I bought the car from owns an auction company and they are picking up my entry fee and fuel cost for putting them on the car. I have a contract cleaning carpets with 15 area Pizza Huts and they are talking about helping. Hopefully I can round up enough support to ease the pain a little bit :)Perspective. I know I'm not gonna go out and beat the big boys, but I gotta tell ya, when I parked my fat butt in my own car, I sure felt like I could.Thanks for the kind words.

mickeyd18
05-03-2013, 05:08 AM
got a decent older GRT that just needs a motor tran, and drive shaft if your interested, I have been running in the limited late model,steel head class.real straight car double adjustable afco shocks.02 model only reason for parking it is I got a deal on a new one...text or call 256-601-9065 $3000.

racerj5
05-03-2013, 09:10 AM
got a decent older GRT that just needs a motor tran, and drive shaft if your interested, I have been running in the limited late model,steel head class.real straight car double adjustable afco shocks.02 model only reason for parking it is I got a deal on a new one...text or call 256-601-9065 $3000.I bought one monday, but thanks for the offer, my friend.