PDA

View Full Version : Falcon vs. Brinn

LateModel B23
04-28-2013, 08:26 AM
I have used Brinn transmissions since they first came out. Had one that got damaged due to driveshaft coming out. Is or can a Falcon replace it directly? In other words can the Brinn be un-bolted and Falcon bolt right back in using the Brinn bellhousing and flywheel with the pump(s) mounted on it? Is overall length the same so the same length driveshaft will be used?

I understand if there are shifter linkage adjustments/changes, that is not my concern. I need to get the car fixed and can get a deal on a Falcon that would let me save some $$$$ over a new Brinn at this time.

zeroracing
04-28-2013, 01:16 PM
I have the falcon, and been told it is the same dimensionally, but never had a brinn. I use the winters assembly.

My question is though what about fixing the brinn? You can get new tails, cases, anything for them and that might save you the most coin.

sidebite7
04-28-2013, 03:13 PM
yes it is a direct replacement. I switched to a falcon from a brinn . the falcon is the same length as a brinn, therefore the driveshaft is the same. you are correct, the falcon shifting linkage is different

RACR_73s
04-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Don't forget about the difference in the input shafts...the Falcon is a 3pc. and your flex plate/starter ring setup or whatever you call it may not work with the Falson. I have a flex plate with the coupler built in and I can not use my Falcon with it so I had to go back to the stock starter setup. Hope this helped...good luck.

joeltjen
04-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Don't forget about the difference in the input shafts...the Falcon is a 3pc. and your flex plate/starter ring setup or whatever you call it may not work with the Falson. I have a flex plate with the coupler built in and I can not use my Falcon with it so I had to go back to the stock starter setup. Hope this helped...good luck.

buy the flywheel without the built-in hub (i think they're about $50) and use the rest of your falcon stuff and you can still use your reverse mount starter, bellhousing ect. i'm not sure but i think you can buy a falcon coupler with the drive for rear mount pumps

RACR_73s
04-28-2013, 08:57 PM
buy the flywheel without the built-in hub (i think they're about $50) and use the rest of your falcon stuff and you can still use your reverse mount starter, bellhousing ect. i'm not sure but i think you can buy a falcon coupler with the drive for rear mount pumps

Thanks, I am aware of that but do to time/money I went with what I had and it is working just fine. I was just trying to point out something before they got to far into it.

powerslide
05-01-2013, 08:29 AM
I have used Brinn transmissions since they first came out. Had one that got damaged due to driveshaft coming out. Is or can a Falcon replace it directly? In other words can the Brinn be un-bolted and Falcon bolt right back in using the Brinn bellhousing and flywheel with the pump(s) mounted on it? Is overall length the same so the same length driveshaft will be used?

I understand if there are shifter linkage adjustments/changes, that is not my concern. I need to get the car fixed and can get a deal on a Falcon that would let me save some $$$$ over a new Brinn at this time.

The main difference that will cause grief is the coupler arrangements. Falcon has the 3 piece and brinn is the standard output shaft and coupler. Make sure you get the coupler with the falcon

LateModel B23
05-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Thanks, found a good deal on a used Brinn. I will send the broken one in for a rebuild/repair.