PDA

View Full Version : water in oil?

regor
05-04-2013, 07:16 PM
I just had a new cam put in the car, and after running just 5-10 laps, I pulled a valve cover and noticed the oil looked really chocolate colored. I lost around 3 inches of water out of the radiator. Where should I look for the leak first? intake gasket? heads? elsewhere? the motor only got to like 160 degrees, so it didnt run hot.

racinjason29
05-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Intake Id say, but I would take it all the way down and check everything ASAP

dirty white boy
05-04-2013, 10:49 PM
my moneys on the intake too!

regor
05-05-2013, 04:48 PM
One of the rocker arm studs unscrewed and that's how the water leaked. Are there any good tricks to keeping the studs from unscrewing?

StuckInReverse
05-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Use some Loctite or run a stud girdle, if the rules allow.

Bubstr
05-13-2013, 09:53 AM
I like the red Loctite too. Tip, if you have aluminum heads and need to remove the stud. Heat the stud with a torch (not cherry red just hot) let it cool then reheat and remove immediately. It softens the loctite and keeps the tread in the Aluminum head in good shape. Chase that threat with a tap to insure it torques right.

This is a good tip for that rusted exhaust bolt that likes to break to, only you need to get it red and do it twice. It works and I'm not sure why. Old guy showed me this trick in the 50s and it still works today.

Remember heat two times.