PDA

View Full Version : oil pan question

Duckhnter83
05-05-2013, 09:41 PM
The guy I bought my mod from told me 7 QTS is what it holds let's just say he didn't have a clue about much when it come to the cars engine and part of the reason why he sold the car after a few races. I believe my pan is a champ style pan by comparing it to the pictures and by the fact its 7" deep. So they say the pan is a 7 qt sump. My question is should I be putting 8qts in it to account for the oil filter? I'm running the taller gm filter.

joeltjen
05-05-2013, 10:36 PM
you should have a plug on top of the left side kickout.........thats the oil level.....should be atleast 8 quarts with filter....

MM90
05-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Kinda related to the subject. But I have a stock car pan on my modified "Ford" it's a Kevko 7qt and at that capactity it's close to the inspection plug for oil level. Now this year we put an oil temp sensor in the lower left side of the oil pan. With the car hiked up and gravity slinging the oil to the right side kick out and pick up my oil temp sender becomes uncovered and it pegs the gauge. Think adding an extra quart to make it 8qts would be a good idea?

powerslide
05-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Kinda related to the subject. But I have a stock car pan on my modified "Ford" it's a Kevko 7qt and at that capactity it's close to the inspection plug for oil level. Now this year we put an oil temp sensor in the lower left side of the oil pan. With the car hiked up and gravity slinging the oil to the right side kick out and pick up my oil temp sender becomes uncovered and it pegs the gauge. Think adding an extra quart to make it 8qts would be a good idea?

Not a good idea. Just read the gauge once it becomes covered with oil again. The crank will start cutting through the oil if you run it over full

MM90
05-06-2013, 08:12 PM
No Jeff, the gauge works. Just would like it to work when I'm racing and not have to wait for a caution for it to read right. I guess I will have to move the gauge sometime in order for it to work right. I was just surprised with it low on the left side rear sump that all the oil runs away from it.

MM90
05-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Not sure how that works either Jeff, but it reads zero when it's cold just like the water temp. But apparently it's reading the hot air in the pan. I figured I was alright because the water temp never got over 200 degrees. And under caution the oil temp came down to around 220-240.