PDA

View Full Version : setting toe

rubbinsracin
05-06-2013, 07:15 PM
what are the proper steps everyone should use to set toe?

i believe im doing it correctly but squaring the LF with the LR and then set the toe with the RF tie rod. is there another way this should be done?

zeroracing
05-06-2013, 07:46 PM
I do opposite, set rf for bump then set toe off LF tie rod.

dylchris
05-06-2013, 08:50 PM
square right front with rear and pre-set right rod length and adjust from left tie rod is how we do it.

merc123
05-06-2013, 08:51 PM
I know GRT shows you what the LF length should be and the RF is dictated when you set toe. Warrior also says use RF to toe out.

I just put the LF wheel straight as I can and set the RF toe out.

rubbinsracin
05-06-2013, 09:19 PM
What would be the advantage of toeing the lf out instead of toeing the rf out?

Bubstr
05-07-2013, 11:32 AM
I'm not a suspension guru, but my take on this is the tie rod length has an effect on bump steer. Since you basically drive on 3 wheels for a majority of the track when your doing a lot of steering, you want minimal bump steer in the right front. Set it and leave it. I'm not saying bump steer isn't important in the left front, you set the toe and then shim for bump. It's just less important.

Where toe in comes into play is on the straights and going into the corner to keep dartyness out of the feel of your car and help you into the corner. This was more important before power steering. But still you want that feed back threw the wheel. Correct toe helps do this. The good thing is Chassis builders now days know bump steer. Check with them.

Matt49
05-07-2013, 01:25 PM
I'm not a suspension guru, but my take on this is the tie rod length has an effect on bump steer. Since you basically drive on 3 wheels for a majority of the track when your doing a lot of steering, you want minimal bump steer in the right front. Set it and leave it. I'm not saying bump steer isn't important in the left front, you set the toe and then shim for bump. It's just less important.

Where toe in comes into play is on the straights and going into the corner to keep dartyness out of the feel of your car and help you into the corner. This was more important before power steering. But still you want that feed back threw the wheel. Correct toe helps do this. The good thing is Chassis builders now days know bump steer. Check with them.

I agree 100% with this post.