PDA

View Full Version : 5th coil spring difference

money17
05-08-2013, 04:02 PM
With no change in shock, track conditions, driver, etc..., what difference in travel would going from a 350 spring to a 325 spring be?
325 to 300?
300 to 275?

Thanks

rubbinsracin
05-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Stole this from our old friend Billet....

The theory of a softer spring is to not shear the contact patch, but going to soft just never let the car hook up. Theoretically a softer spring is supposed to hook up later and keep traction longer, but every time I've done that it lost so much traction initially that the car couldn't ever get going to build any speed down the straight. The over all times are always slower, at least for me.

I just never found a softer spring ever hooks up the car better anywhere. This is excluding drivers that work the gas pedal like an off and on switch.

billetbirdcage
05-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Stole this from our old friend Billet....

The theory of a softer spring is to not shear the contact patch, but going to soft just never let the car hook up. Theoretically a softer spring is supposed to hook up later and keep traction longer, but every time I've done that it lost so much traction initially that the car couldn't ever get going to build any speed down the straight. The over all times are always slower, at least for me.

I just never found a softer spring ever hooks up the car better anywhere. This is excluding drivers that work the gas pedal like an off and on switch.

I still stand by this to this day. I've never had a softer spring give more traction unless your driver is a pedal smasher.

Wheelman33
05-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Then what is too stiff?

rubbinsracin
05-09-2013, 11:39 AM
i have never ran anything stiffer than a 350 and stay on a 300 now. i like about 3 rounds of preload