potts5
05-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Has any ever tried these type of headers

perfconn
05-15-2013, 12:02 PM
No need to until they start making square exhaust valves

rubbinsracin
05-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Had a buddy that built some for a rat rod type project. More of a fashion statement for him. They sure look cool but as far as gains in power I would find that hard to believe

perfconn
05-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Yep,somebody always trying to reinvent the wheel.Ever see a square water pipe,how about a square sewer pipe,or maybe even a square steam pipe.Oh yea I forgot,why is your exhaust pipe on your passenger car round?

joeltjen
05-15-2013, 11:40 PM
http://www.dirtracingforum.com/showthread.php/2165-Square-tube-headers/page10

if you are old enough to remember the days when Sterling Marlin "owned" the daytona 500 and the different sound of his car from the others, those were Piekarski headers, and they were subsequently outlawed by nascar. dave lived about 40 miles from me and i had the pleasure of picking his brain a couple times. Dave passed away a couple years ago from a heart attack. his square tube headers were not cheap and were very picky as to what engine they were designed for. they worked on some and not others but then if there were a perfect set of headers we'd all have the same ones wouldn't we. as far as the comment about them not working on the drag strip... do a little research and you will find Dave himself held some NHRA records for a while!

return to dirt
05-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Yep,somebody always trying to reinvent the wheel.Ever see a square water pipe,how about a square sewer pipe,or maybe even a square steam pipe.Oh yea I forgot,why is your exhaust pipe on your passenger car round?

water pipe, sewer pipe, steam pipe, and exhaust pipes are round because it is cheaper to make and in theory stronger. if round is best then why do most heads have square or rectangular intake and exhaust ports? they still have round valves.

olin

perfconn
05-16-2013, 05:51 AM
Being round does not make it cheaper to make.DOM can be drawn over asquare mandrel just as easy.Squares do not flow as well as round because of the vortices created in the corners.And you are right that most performance heads have retangular ports but that doesn't mean they are best and remember also they are under negetive pressure.

R2C Competition Filters
05-16-2013, 08:06 AM
In theory, I would say this configuration could improve the profile in the tube, especially in bends.

We'd have to test a bit to determine what overall benefits may be achieved.

FlatTire
05-17-2013, 09:15 AM
In theory, I would say this configuration could improve the profile in the tube, especially in bends.

We'd have to test a bit to determine what overall benefits may be achieved.

R2C is correct. Take a look at the turbo outlets on some of the MTU/Detroit Diesel engines. They are shaped more like a rectangular tube with large corner radi wherever there is a bend. This is
done to optimize flow. Some refer to it as a "cobra neck" because of its appearance.