PDA

View Full Version : In car camera opinions

twizted
05-16-2013, 11:33 AM
I put this this here cause I figured more people here would have in car cameras. I have never had or even touched a in car camera and have very limited knowledge of recording an never edited a video or anything cause I dont use a camcorder at all. I do have a fellow who wants to watch videos and is gonna give me $200 if i'll buy a camera and record them.
I was looking at some used ones and looked at walmart and they have a brand new Gopro 3 white for $205. That seems cheap and like it would work fine to me. I saw in past posts about the Contour GPS and was kinda interested in that but it is a lil more expensive.

Question is any good bad things about these cameras . I am not looking for a professional video camera just something to take few videos to put on youtube (never done that either) and watch on tv at home. Like I said not extremely tech savy about this stuff at all. Thanks for any advice

crateracer16
05-16-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm still using the go pro hero 2 and I love it. I had a mount break on me a few weeks ago and the camera took a beating but it has no damage and works great. My buddy uses the countour and he's had some recording issues. It will shut off in mid recording. (I think he got a bad one though). I have some videos on you tube with my go pro. Look up racerman16 and there are a few in car vids. The only drawback I have is it takes forever to edit videos. It just may be the software I downloaded but it was free and works.

ohlde21
05-17-2013, 06:15 PM
I run a go pro hero 3 with a 64mb card and it does a great job im on my second go pro since the first one took a small rock and shatteder the case and camera i use my cam to basiclly watch my lines and study the track as well as other drivers and track conditions. To me the camera is a great tool to have cuz u can learn alot from the videos.

hot_rod
05-20-2013, 08:49 AM
I run the Contour GPS. I really like it. I bought the roll cage mount and it is very sturdy, IMO. The lens on the camera will rotate upto 180* to allow you to mount the camera in a odd position and still have the camera taking videos correctly. It has two lasers on it that will help line the camera up. Or you can buy the bluetooth adapter and you can connect it to your bluetooth ready smartphone and see exactly what the camera sees. You can not watch playback through the phone, but it helps to make sure you are taking the video that you want. My only complaint would be that dust will get behind the lens, but it is fairly easy to clean off. The camera was basically brand new for the hot laps, and I didnt clean it all night. It needs to be cleaned after every night, IMO. You can see with the link posted what kind of video it takes in low light conditions. The camera was mounts on one of my halo bars and it pretty rock steady in relation to the car. Plus you get the added bonus of GPS, you can zoom in on the map and look at one end of the track and compare lines to see which is faster. You can not load the GPS data into YouTube though, only the program on your PC and the Contour Website. I really like it. Granted I think that I have about $300 total in mine. But it is cool as HE11. Hope this helps.

http://contour.com/users/ar15purestock