PDA

View Full Version : overall weight vs percentages

dfhotlm33c
05-20-2013, 05:56 AM
So, I know this has come up before, but just wanted some opinions...

My track has no weight rule. We run a steel block, 600 hp engine as compared to the 7-800 hp the big shots have.

Last year, we weighed 2320, but with a Saginaw transmission, mostly heavy wheels and other heavy stuff, and 75 pounds of ballast.

Now, with no ballast, and after switching to a Bert, me losing 15 pounds, and lightweight wheels etc, we weigh 2100. Our percentages are:

54% left
51.2% rear
50.2% cross
75 lbs of bite

If I add the 75 lbs spread directly across the back (I have two weights at 38 each), I get to just over 53% rear.

We are just trying to keep up and compete at the middle to the back of the pack. Last year we could keep up but never go fast enough to really race...

Would the ballast help handling sufficiently to offset the added overall weight? What would I expect by being that light in the rear? My setup sheets call for 54% rear.

Thanks

Egoracing
05-20-2013, 07:52 AM
There are so many variables in dirt racing you will not notice extra weight if you get the car to handle correctly. We ran a crate against limited motors and we ran 100lbs heavy (crate rules minimum weight) and started dead last and finished in the top 5 with a 20 car field. Only reason we started last was we had not raced there and they use a 3week rolling points rule for feature starting position. I would add the weight, and probably find another 20 or so pounds to get you to the correct starting rear percentage.