PDA

View Full Version : grounding the block?

racing_kid
05-20-2013, 09:23 PM
after just reading on the thread below, i had a few questions.
ive never seen or herd of people grounding the block or heads before? what is the purpose? just a better ground for the starter or ignition?
sorry for such a rookie question lol

SRXSRULE
05-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Once youve had the plessure of tracking down an ignition problem you will learn how important grounds are. You want to run a nice quality braided steel ground cable from the chassis to the block and heads and distributor. I also clean the block to starter mounting surface with sand paper and then coat with dielectric grease.

Its very easy on a race car to get a poor ground due to the fact of parts getting painted and sealer being used on many bolts. Chassis gets painted (or powder coated), engine gets painted on engine stand, engine mounts might have washers shimming them ( zinc coated washers SUCK as conductors). See where all of this is going? Eric

rubbinsracin
05-21-2013, 10:29 AM
where would you ground from on the block and heads if you have a crate motor? Specifically where are you all grounding from?

MM90
05-21-2013, 10:38 AM
How do you ground the distributor? I might have a harder time doing that because I run a Ford.

racing_kid
05-21-2013, 07:51 PM
thanks guys, tomorrow im gonna head down to u-pull-it and get a few strops and start grounding it!