PDA

View Full Version : missing

newguy
05-27-2013, 10:57 AM
While hot lapping i noticed my car had a slight stumble off the corner and would clear out on the straightaway, checked plugs and i was a little fat so i went down 2 in front and 2 in the back. checked float levels, front float was a little high so i adjusted that, checked all connections etc. went out for the heat race and the stumble was still there, came in changed the plugs, made sure all the wires were on and went out for dash for cash, in the dash for cash the car flat out refused to run, changed my coil, and made sure i didnt cross wires while chaging plugs, go out for main and same issue. just pulled off and watched for the night. only thing that i can think of is the module went bad? also i went from normally racing at 2000 feet to racing at 6000 feet. any ideas on what else i could check?

usafracer
05-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Need a lot more info on motor and carb. Bore stroke intake jet size.

Confused?
05-27-2013, 02:02 PM
HEI? My experiance with HEIs is when a module goes bad, the motor won't start, much less run. It just dies.

Confused?
05-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Fuel filter, fuel line blockage, power valve bad or wrong.

newguy
05-27-2013, 02:21 PM
it is an hei by MSD, the motor is a 362, with iron eagles and a super victor, the carb is a 750 barry grant silver claw just went through in march by JDR. 78 front 80 back on the jets, went to 76 and 78. the filter is clean i clean the element as part of my weekly maintenance. when i pulled the bowls to change jets i went through it with carb cleaner. one thing i should note, when i tried to start it for the heat and the dash the motor was lazy trying to start, after i changed everything it started right away.

DANNY
05-27-2013, 02:41 PM
What's your fuel pressure? Is there evidence of fuel coming out of the top? I had that happening may need to get a fuel reg or bypass. It would stumble all over the place and plugs were charcoal.

let-r-eat
05-27-2013, 04:22 PM
Check ignition timing. Could have slipped or pull distributor and check gear.

merc123
05-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Check power and ground wires. Definitely double check timing. Balancer could have slipped.

50j
05-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Was anything changed or added before it started doing it? I would look at the distributor gear also.

newguy
05-28-2013, 09:12 AM
the only thing that changed was the elevation. 2000 to about 6000

newguy
05-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Well after a lot of tinkering I unplugged my rev limiter(should have mentioned I had one) and it sounds great! It only has a handful of races on it, what would make it go bad so soon?

Lizardracing
06-02-2013, 01:21 PM
The Chip is just a resistor component and fail with heat/vibration pretty easily.

newguy
06-02-2013, 08:28 PM
So are guys changing the chip every few races?

Lizardracing
06-10-2013, 10:40 PM
I would call that excessive. Mine is set for 8200 for the last 13 years.

rubbinsracin
06-11-2013, 08:34 AM
we used to run the actual chip that plugs into the box and it seemed to go bad once a year. took it out and put in the dial and it worked fine for 6 years then we finally went away from a limiter all together.

i should add that the little chip itself seemed to go bad. so we just kept a few of them handy. never seemed to fail that it would be fine and then we would go to start the car for the heat race and it would be the problem. eventally turned out electical compartment from zused (sp) shut with a screw driver to zused (sp) shut with the butterfly style so we could swap it out quickly.

DANNY
06-11-2013, 08:13 PM
we used to run the actual chip that plugs into the box and it seemed to go bad once a year. took it out and put in the dial and it worked fine for 6 years then we finally went away from a limiter all together.

i should add that the little chip itself seemed to go bad. so we just kept a few of them handy. never seemed to fail that it would be fine and then we would go to start the car for the heat race and it would be the problem. eventally turned out electical compartment from zused (sp) shut with a screw driver to zused (sp) shut with the butterfly style so we could swap it out quickly.

Good to know, gonna order couple of them in the morning... B-)