PDA

View Full Version : car wont start after dies

racing_kid
05-27-2013, 09:18 PM
after adjusting the floats in the carb to where you can just see the fuel in the sight glass's the motor will not start back up if killed or if you touch the gas. in order to re start it you have to dump fuel into the carb. when the floats were really high there was no problem with it re starting but it would not idle, now it idles just fine but wont re fire. holly 750 double pumper on a 383 sbc. 78 jets rear 76 front i believe.
thanks

setup479point2
05-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Check idle mixture screws as they sometimes move if the little seal around them drys out. Take each one and screw in until it just bottoms counting how much you turn em in , should usually be between 3/4 and 1 1/2 turns , my starting point is 1 1/4 out. Is the sight window a built in one or a clear replacement ? If it is built in you should be halfway up window. Is accelerator pump working , that should be the same as dumping fuel in. When in doubt take em apart and clean em and put fresh power valves in.

racing_kid
05-28-2013, 12:20 AM
screws are 1.5 turns out, has brand new power valves, carb had just been gone threw with new gaskets and new fuel bowls jets and power valves... has 6 psi of fuel pressure at idle could that be the problem? and the accelerator pumps spray fuel so im guessing there good? could spark plug gap be the problem?

setup479point2
05-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Fuel pressure should be OK. Check the plugs , are any not firing or different from the rest ?You may have a weakening ignition . If the carb was just gone through , have you run it before this problem showed up, or is this the first you've run it since the rebuild ? When looking for any problem always check the last thing you worked on.

racing_kid
05-28-2013, 12:28 PM
we ran it once this year and it dumped fuel into the motor so we decided to rebuild it, and got new plugs, but with the fuel bowls up it would start right up but wouldnt idle. will check the plugs today

jsf74
05-28-2013, 12:30 PM
I had a very similar problem and it ended up being my timing. My distributor moved just enough that it would start fine cold but when warmed up if it stalled I was screwed. I tinkered with the carb forever and it was never the problem.

racing_kid
05-28-2013, 12:37 PM
ill re check the timing as well.

twisterf5
05-28-2013, 08:49 PM
ill re check the timing as well.
if you have new bowls you need to check pump for missing check ball or rubber bypass in bowl under pump diafram.

racing_kid
05-28-2013, 10:56 PM
well i guess when the carb got put back together the red valves for the accelerator pumps had one that tore and one was gone all together, i guess thats what happens when you have a fellow racer do carb work for ya.
the accelerator pumps were not spraying they were more of a drizzle.
thanks for the help!!!